The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So there are 4 of us who play here at home - me, my 2 sons 18 & 16, and my daughter 13. We are fortunate enough to have some decent gear here, as I really want to encourage my kids to have a hobby they can enjoy for their whole lifetime. I didnt, however, realize how much we have accumulated.

This conversation happened last night:

Mrs. keto: "We need another guitar."
keto (knowing we need another guitar like a bullet in the brain, and thinking hard for the hidden message): "Wha....?"
Mrs. keto: "WE HAVE 19 GUITARS IN THE HOUSE"
keto: "oops heh I guess I sorta lost count."

So tonights project was to photo them up. Came out darker than I had hoped, poor light in the basement - but Im not gonna drag all this outside....

I know it's the Electric Forum, but lets start with the acoustics. Art & Lutherie cedar AMI, Morgan DR, Walden 550

Fender and G&L....60th Ltd. Tele, '62RI Tele, 60th Am Strat, MIM Strat, Showmaster Strat, G&L S-500

Humbucker guitars....Fernandes Ravelle, LTD EC1000, Epi Les Paul, Gibson R0, Dean '79 Z (Korean)

Misc...'67 Kent mandolin, PRS Soapbar SE, MIM Jazz bass, Agile 820-12, 60's Japanese something or other pawn shop prize

·
Premium Member
8,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Amps....VibroChamp in custom 2x8, '67 Deluxe Reverb, '66 Pro Reverb, Orange Rockerverb50, Marshall JVM410H and 1960AHW, Vox Cambridge, Traynor YCV50, Yorkville 200W bass amp

The AMI & Showmaster are my daughters. The LTD, Ravelle, MIM Strat are one son's, the Epi, PRS and Walden are mine but defacto belong to my other son.

OMFG we forgot one, we have 20. Eldest son has an Epi SG400 :D

·
Registered
131 Posts
very VERY cool Keto. I think it's awesome that you and your family all share a common hobby together, and that you have quite the collection to show. I definitely dig the Fernandes Ravelle, as I've been looking at those myself. You and your family have good taste in guitars! :food-smiley-004:

·
Premium Member
8,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know we have too much lol. I've been trying to move a couple of amps and my son is moving his SG. But with the exceptions of the Japanese thing, the mando, and the 12 string 335 copy, ALL of the rest of the guitars see regular action! OK, the Epi LP and the bass somewhat less so too.

The Epi Les is a bolt neck, bought in about '93-4. I don't think you've been able to buy one for 10 years or so. It is an amazingly good guitar, for what it is and what it cost....lol.

Cross - be VERY VERY picky about a Ravelle, and DO NOT buy one without playing it and inspecting it closely first. We shopped and shopped for my son's. Looked at several (7 or 8?) that had serious QC issues, bad bindings, hardware not lined up, yada yada. After that, I tried for many months to talk him out of it but he wanted one bad so I caved as a high school grad present. Finally found a good one, brought it home....and he's having a lot of trouble getting it set up to play well. And, he went to take the back strap button off to put on his strap locks, quarter turn of the screwdriver and the screw fell out of the hole. Had to patch and redrill the hole....thank god it didn't happen when he was on stage or jamming with his band. His LTD just blows it away for tone, but I'll be the first to agree that the Ravelle is an excellent looking guitar.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
your wife needs either a PA, or maybe a drum kit. So you arent done yet.

I've said this before, your R0 is awesome man.

·
Premium Member
8,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don - my middle son is a drummer, he had a bit of a collection of his own going. The 2 boys play together (lead + drums) in a 5 piece hard rock band. They won their battle of the bands at high school last month, here in Edmonton.

We have a small Peavey PA as well. Which we can easily overpower, but it works for the boys to do band practice. The roof leaves the house every Friday night between 7 and 11 LOL.

Mrs. keto makes occasional forays into playing but her heart isn't in it so she doesn't stick with it for long.

·
Premium Member
13,055 Posts
You need keyboards. A B3 would be nice to start.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I have to say I'm pretty jealous. Care to adopt a 24 year old child?

·
Premium Member
8,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Keto, how do you like the Morgan dreadnaught? I've never had the chance to play one but they sure look impressive.
I'll put it to you this way: I traded a Martin D-40 (or 41, i forget) for it. Very nice sounding guitar, well made - and a neck shape I can play better than the soft V the Martin had. Morgan is more like a Fender C. As you probably know, Morgan is owned by a former apprentice/employee of Larrivee. There are louder Dreads out there but it's a full complex sound, and not quiet by any stretch.

PS if you like loud + BIG neck, check out the new Guild 40's & 50's - I would buy one TODAY if I could handle the big neck, all the one's I've played have a neck bigger than the biggest Gibson electric tho. But OMG every one of them sounds GIGANTIC.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have 3 sons at home still , two guitarists aged 13 and 19 and a drummer aged 16. So far we're up to 12 guitars , 1 bass , keyboards , drums etc. and we still need more . You have a beautiful collection there , congrats.

·
Premium Member
16,673 Posts
I know we have too much lol. I've been trying to move a couple of amps and my son is moving his SG. But with the exceptions of the Japanese thing, the mando, and the 12 string 335 copy, ALL of the rest of the guitars see regular action! OK, the Epi LP and the bass somewhat less so too.

The Epi Les is a bolt neck, bought in about '93-4. I don't think you've been able to buy one for 10 years or so. It is an amazingly good guitar, for what it is and what it cost....lol.

Cross - be VERY VERY picky about a Ravelle, and DO NOT buy one without playing it and inspecting it closely first. We shopped and shopped for my son's. Looked at several (7 or 8?) that had serious QC issues, bad bindings, hardware not lined up, yada yada. After that, I tried for many months to talk him out of it but he wanted one bad so I caved as a high school grad present. Finally found a good one, brought it home....and he's having a lot of trouble getting it set up to play well. And, he went to take the back strap button off to put on his strap locks, quarter turn of the screwdriver and the screw fell out of the hole. Had to patch and redrill the hole....thank god it didn't happen when he was on stage or jamming with his band. His LTD just blows it away for tone, but I'll be the first to agree that the Ravelle is an excellent looking guitar.
That mandolin looks interesting.

Would you tell us a bit about it?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts