The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A car accident a couple years ago has left me with nerve damage in the left hand, along with other ailments that makes guitar playing more work and less fun than before. I still can't make a damn first position C or Am chord...

Luckily both our kids play multiple instruments so they were all too quick to lay their hands on "daddy's gear" and keep them up in their rooms as best they could. The oldest boy has played bass since he was 11 - so although he gets routinely mocked by the other "musicians" (as bassists should...) - his phone is always ringing for jamming and he's in 3 cover bands along with his high school jazz and concert bands. The younger boy is a guitar player with a taste for punk and starting to find kids at school to jam with so my wife and I decided about 2 months ago if the kids helped out, we would turn the main part of the basement into a jam space for them and their friends.

This cost me my "recording studio" room - my personal safe haven where I could close the door and shut the world out for a couple hours. The perfect arrangement for me - but somewhat selfish since the main basement room was being used for storage so I could have my spot.

We're not quite finished - but it would be fair to say the kids are pretty pleased with their new jam space.

DSC_0027PZ.jpg

DSC_0048PZ.jpg

·
Administrator
16,477 Posts
Awesome!

btw I struggle with the same 2 chords thanks to a finger injury a few years ago. In my case it does loosen up a bit after playing for awhile but the first few times are a real pain, literally.

·
Premium Member
4,507 Posts
A car accident a couple years ago has left me with nerve damage in the left hand, along with other ailments that makes guitar playing more work and less fun than before. I still can't make a damn first position C or Am chord...

Luckily both our kids play multiple instruments so they were all too quick to lay their hands on "daddy's gear" and keep them up in their rooms as best they could. The oldest boy has played bass since he was 11 - so although he gets routinely mocked by the other "musicians" (as bassists should...) - his phone is always ringing for jamming and he's in 3 cover bands along with his high school jazz and concert bands. The younger boy is a guitar player with a taste for punk and starting to find kids at school to jam with so my wife and I decided about 2 months ago if the kids helped out, we would turn the main part of the basement into a jam space for them and their friends.

This cost me my "recording studio" room - my personal safe haven where I could close the door and shut the world out for a couple hours. The perfect arrangement for me - but somewhat selfish since the main basement room was being used for storage so I could have my spot.

We're not quite finished - but it would be fair to say the kids are pretty pleased with their new jam space.

View attachment 234516

View attachment 234520
I'll be your kid!

·
Premium Member
8,713 Posts
Man, takes me back. Can’t believe it’s been 10 years now that my sons’ (drummer, lead guitar) band broke up, we hosted them for around 3 years and every Friday night they tore the roof off the place for a few hours, using largely my gear. PA, couple half stacks, big bass amp, and a heavy handed kid drumming hard rock - GNR, Buck Cherry, VR, Rage Against etc., and they were tight and had a decent singer with a big personality. I always thought they had a ton of potential but life pulled them in different directions. The gear slowly got sold or traded off, and I downsized a ton once the boys had what they wanted or needed.

Good on you.

·
Premium Member
4,472 Posts
Good on you. I can only think back when i was 15 and my dad built me a room in the garage so our band could practice there. It was called; The Hangout. All our friends would hang around and my dad was happy to have them. Kept us off the streets and trouble. Such fond memories and i wish you and your boys will share some great times.

·
Premium Member
16,845 Posts
I hope you recover enough to enjoy using that space along with your kids. It looks excellent and I'm sure your family is grateful. What a great environment you've provided.

Awesome and inspiring.

·
Premium Member
4,214 Posts
This is a class act, you share your space with kids that will have memories for the rest of their life!
It's a win/win situation for sure, you'll discover new friendship and a couple of handy hands when needed with all those kids around!

Enjoy and I wish you recovery to enjoy the space with your kids!

·
Premium Member
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So far it's been pretty sweet, although the kids are still a little uneasy with it...

They have grown up in a house where daddy had "his gear" in "his room" - and that was off limits to them and their friends when I wasn't in there. Now suddenly their dad tells them it's cool for them and their friends to use whatever's down there (the only restriction is no moving/adjusting the snare drum just because of my wrist issues), feel free to turn the amp/pedal knobs to find what works for them, etc... They were both a little nervous/overwhelmed when I started to explain what gets turned on in what order, what "standby" means on an amp, how to use the recorder/phantom power for the mics, etc. - the real-world knowledge they haven't encountered at lessons or practicing up in their room yet.

We have instituted one House Rule for the basement when their friends are over - nobody wants to hear you practice. When they've got their stuff down then they can turn stuff up to appropriate rock and roll levels. If it's going to be loud enough they're wondering if the neighbours can hear them then make sure you're playing something well enough to impress.

We're not a guitar store - we (nor the neighbours) will not be impressed if somebody spends 5 minutes trying to figure out what fret the Smoke On The Water riff starts on at max volume to show the other guitar player...

It's great fun playing and recording stuff with the kids - but cold hard reality is we're limited by what I (the middle aged guy who got a drum kit for Father's Day this year) can play with his gimpy wrist... Hearing them and their friends work on stuff and finally get it all together has been the real reward. There were 5 kids down there last Sunday (drums, bass, two guitars and singer/keyboard) kicking out a handful of Beatles & Foos tunes and it was great.

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
Lucky kids. Sounds like they deserve their parents' support, too! Go team!

·
Premium Member
17,192 Posts
Just needs an acoustic kit! ;)

Any plans for dampening?

Reactions: Ti-Ron
1 - 18 of 18 Posts