The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
Overtones? Glenn MacDougall was quite boastful about the overtones that his guitars produce beyond the range of hearing. He would measure them with an oscilloscope. He claimed that the Bandit with its "compression bridge" continued to produce overtones beyond the range of the scope.

"That's what makes the treble so sweet."

Woulda been nice to see more depth in the measurements. Too crude I think. I could hear differences. Seemed less "open" everytime he hacked off a piece. Of course maybe my ears ain't what they yoosta be... :p

·
Premium Member
4,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Overtones? Glenn MacDougall was quite boastful about the overtones that his guitars produce beyond the range of hearing. He would measure them with an oscilloscope. He claimed that the Bandit with its "compression bridge" continued to produce overtones beyond the range of the scope.

"That's what makes the treble so sweet."

Woulda been nice to see more depth in the measurements. Too crude I think. I could hear differences. Seemed less "open" everytime he hacked off a piece. Of course maybe my ears ain't what they yoosta be... :p
What good is sound beyond the range of the human hearing?

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
That was cool. I would like to see that same sustain comparison between a bolt on neck strat and a heavy set neck Les Paul.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
Am the only guy who notices a difference in sound every time he hacked off a piece?

Also, are those computer graphs of the tracks really identical? I see all kinds of differences...

The video, although fun, is really a "hack" job as far as science goes. All that can be argued from it is if the difference is noticeable or not to you.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
What good is sound beyond the range of the human hearing?
Actually when I think about it, you are right.

In the case of this guitar there is no significant difference in the SUSTAIN of this guitar ( although I still say the sound changes). I wonder if there would be differences in an expensive Fender -- where the bridge, nut, and pickups are built better and more responsive to the wood...

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
Here is the back of a Fury Bandit. The scooped wood produces a megaphone effect like cupping your hands around your mouth. The sound feeds the wood, which feeds the bridge, which feeds the wood, which feeds the bridge, etc.etc. Into increased overtones of energy.

The brass of the bridge has been very carefully formulated for frequency response, and constructed for optimum contact with the strings and wood.

Notice the Tele type body: solid slab with no sculpting. I think on a properly constructed instrument the difference will be noticeable. But not on some POS that has no sustain to begin with.

This guitar responds differently for sure. Extremely pleasant treble with more (apparent?) sustain.

Yellow
Guitar Musical instrument Electric guitar Plucked string instruments String instrument

·
Registered
18,584 Posts
I don't think we should be surprised by the results. I am surprised that some are still arguing it can't be true. It's an electric guitar, after all, not an acoustic. Why do do many acoustics sound so different when they are plugged vs. unplugged? It's the electrical components.

I agree with him, playability is number one.

·
Registered
18,584 Posts
Are you kidding me, Steady?
Over on the AGF, this is often discussed and especially with certain makes. It appears all those knowledgeable players, many of them professional musicians are "kidding" you.

Reactions: KapnKrunch

·
Registered
18,584 Posts
Those professionals need new guitars.
If you've been over there, it's amazing how many acoustic guitars some of them have. There are so many different sizes, different woods, scales, 12/14 fret models. I've learned a lot from them. I wish we had more of an acoustic presence here but it just seems it is not going to happen. I see quite a few members here on this forum also frequent AGF.

Reactions: KapnKrunch

·
Registered
147 Posts
I cannot find it, but a former colleague of mine (who also plays) once sent me a link to a website which had tests of the same pick ups used in several different contexts - in the guitar they came in, nailed to a plank of wood, and two other contexts which I cannot remember.

The accompanying sound files sounded virtually identical to all who listened to them ('blind') and who took part in the poll recording their results.

Wish I could find that, but here is another source which would seem to confirm that the variations in sounds are not due to characteristics of the wood in which the pick ups may be housed.

Electric Guitar Wood Myth Busted? (Guitarsite)

Reactions: Steadfastly
1 - 20 of 69 Posts