The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
simple question...

has anyone noticed even the slightest hint of prices decreasing as out wonderfull Canadian dollars hits new highs daily?

Will you bring this fact up next time you try and cut a deal?

Makes you go hmmmm doesnt it?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,084 Posts
Recent example. An Epiphone '56 Gold Top Les Paul is $600 US on Musicians Friend. That's $670 Cdn. MF will sell Epis to Canada. At Long and McQuade, it is $660 Cdn. And you don't have to pay shipping and brokerage.

But that's just one model, one example.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,348 Posts
When I was in florida for march break, I bought a book and you know how on the back it says US$ 6.99, CAN$ 9.99, depending on where you're buying it from. Well with the exchange rate, it wasn't $9.99. I took out $200 US from the bank and it only cost me like $230 CAN. Another example.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Robert1950 said:
Recent example. An Epiphone '56 Gold Top Les Paul is $600 US on Musicians Friend. That's $670 Cdn. MF will sell Epis to Canada. At Long and McQuade, it is $660 Cdn. And you don't have to pay shipping and brokerage.

But that's just one model, one example.

Thats a great example of what I'm talking about, even though I don't think its a common occurance.

I think there will be a great insentive by Canadian stores to keep prices steady in the near future even though their cost of goods will definetly go down due to the exchange rate. I think its our duty to call them on this fact and demand that they reflect prices based on current economic realities.

If our Canadian dollar firms up or even goes higher , I would think shopping the USA market will become much more attractive if Canadian stores fail to adjust their prices.

keep those examples comming...I think this is a worth while exercise.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,084 Posts
GTmaker said:
If our Canadian dollar firms up or even goes higher , I would think shopping the USA market will become much more attractive if Canadian stores fail to adjust their prices.
BINGO!! Exactly my sentiment
 

·
All the way to ten
Joined
·
936 Posts
I spend half my year in retail and I have noticed the same thing. I believe it is a case of "make hay while the sun shines". Our dollar may or may not keep going up and would you bet your business on it? I don't think our dollar is going up, it's the american dollar going down and there is a big difference. By that I mean that it's not what we are doing right but what the americans are doing wrong. Who would take a chance to stamp a price on a product only to have the exchange rate fall and drive your business into bankruptcy?

The longer our dollar stays up the more optimistic business will get and prices will drop especially, as was stated earlier, it becomes more attractive to shop over the border. Canadian business really hasn't had to compete for a long while with serious cross border shopping. Anyone who thought they were saving money with a 60% exchange rate hadn't paid attention since the seventies. Don't forget the tariffs and taxes that are paid on goods coming across the border. Those things aren't reflected in the american price.

Having said that I price in US$ because all my parts are priced that way so it's just easier. So technically my prices have come down.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Thanks JS - I tried to word that myself, but did a miserable job. End result being my blunt response. No business owner in their right mind would follow the canadian dollar as if it were the stock market (which is in a state of constant change).
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,968 Posts
StankFloyd said:
the dollar is going up because canadian business is good - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Only some segments. The strong dollar is wreaking havoc on alot of our manufacturing sectors. When the dollar is strong, we have more import power, when the dollar is weak we have more export power. The question becomes do we want to become a nation that creates and sells, or do we want to become the US, a great consumer that imports everything, even things that it has because it costs more to produce internally than to import them...............
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Accept2 said:
Only some segments. The strong dollar is wreaking havoc on alot of our manufacturing sectors. When the dollar is strong, we have more import power, when the dollar is weak we have more export power. The question becomes do we want to become a nation that creates and sells, or do we want to become the US, a great consumer that imports everything, even things that it has because it costs more to produce internally than to import them...............
in general, Canada is an importer of goods. from the foods we eat to the shoes we wear to just about everything you and I buy on a daily basis is imported.
The manufacturing sector you mention has been making a living (not competing on an equal footing) counting on the weakness of our Canadian dollar which has for years given then an advantage. A stronger dollar (still giving then a 10% advantage) will force that sector to become more competative.

lets concentrate on the consumers like you and me. For how many years have we been asked to pay a currency exchange penalty on the guitars and amps we buy just because our dollar was weak?
My main point ( and I original made only one) is now that the exchance rate is getting better in our favour, I want our wonderfull Canadian retailers to reflect that fact and give us the appropriate break. I'm not asking retailers to cut their profits, BUT if an amp now costs then 15% cheaper to buy, I want to see a 15% drop in the price of that amp. If that too much to ask?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
233 Posts
GTmaker said:
I'm not asking retailers to cut their profits, BUT if an amp now costs then 15% cheaper to buy, I want to see a 15% drop in the price of that amp. If that too much to ask?
Do you actually think that retailers are seeing any decrease in their cost for items from suppliers? Distributors who are importing in the products are seeing all the profits of a stronger dollar, not the end retailers... at least not this one...:mad:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
585 Posts
Im waiting for when I can get an Ibanez RGA 121 at a reduced price. That's going to be the last guitar I'll ever need.

Basicly, eBayers will thrive.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,084 Posts
I've noticed that the recording software - Sony Acid Studio 6 has gone from $99 Cdn to $89 Cdn since last December.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,816 Posts
Anyone who thinks it's good for Canada to have our dollar this strong doesn't work in industry.


The strong dollar is making the Canadian manufacturing sector less and less profitable. Factories ae closing and more are on the brink.


I'm not making this stuff up.


Don't hold your breath waiting for retailers to pass on savings relating to the exchange rate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,991 Posts
Milkman said:
Anyone who thinks it's good for Canada to have our dollar this strong doesn't work in industry.


The strong dollar is making the Canadian manufacturing sector less and less profitable. Factories ae closing and more are on the brink.


I'm not making this stuff up.


Don't hold your breath waiting for retailers to pass on savings relating to the exchange rate.

Very true. This strong Canadian $ is very scary. We will not survive if other countries (mostly US) stop buying from us. With a strong dollar, it's worthwhile for the US to start looking elsewhere for trade partners.

On the other hand, buying my SX last week was a very pleasant experince. Hopefully the dollar stays strong for another couple of months so I can buy a couple more.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Milkman said:
Anyone who thinks it's good for Canada to have our dollar this strong doesn't work in industry.


The strong dollar is making the Canadian manufacturing sector less and less profitable. Factories ae closing and more are on the brink.


I'm not making this stuff up.


Don't hold your breath waiting for retailers to pass on savings relating to the exchange rate.

I think holding our breath and NOT saying anything is exactly what we as consumenrs should not be doing. We should be DEMANDING a fair reflection of the exchange rate on prices. The cost of buying most of the goods we buy as musicians has dropped significantly. As consumers, we have for a long time been asked to pay the 15-20% penalty for the exchange rate. It time to stand up and say enough is enough.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,968 Posts
Dont forget the banks. They actually take a cut every time CDN$ are exchanged for US$, so the true practical exchange rate isnt what you find at O and A.........
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top