The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I smacked the index finger on my fretting hand with a hammer yesterday.

I've got an ugly purple-black line right up the middle of the fingernail and the whole tip of my finger has a dull throb sensation to it. It hurts when I press down on the nail, but everything else is just kind of numb.

I'm going to try and play a bit later today.

Anyone else ever get a relatively minor injury but bad enough to affect your playing?

What was it and how did you deal with it?

I think I'll be fine. It will just be some time before I get back into the swing of things..... and I won't be swinging the hammer.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I cut my right thumb open replacing a broken window in my car. I went to a clinic for a tetnus shot and they wanted to stitch the thumb up but I didn't have time. For weeks I couldn't use it to play. I even tried using a pick instead but couldn't hold a pick with it.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Hmmm kind of sounds like the ER room, I have recently been diagnosed with two herniated disc's in my neck and it is basically shutting down the use of my left arm and shoulder. I'm booked for physio and I sure hope it works...

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
...i do a lot of food preparation, as i rarely buy packaged/processed food.

this means a lot of cutting/dicing fruit and vegetables. more than a few times, i have slipped and cut a thumb or finger on my left hand. so far, i've been lucky - all have been minor cuts, with ample time for healing.

i do my best to be cautious, and to stop immediately if i get angry, frustrated or otherwise distracted.

nonetheless, it worries me constantly.

-dh

·
Registered
737 Posts
Sorry to hear that ChargerFan. Paul, hope the physio works out, I see a chiro for a back problem and he is amazing.

We were doing some renovations which involved removing a steel 6X6 H-beam, my ring finger on my fretting hand got caught between the beam and post as it was coming down, and I had gloves on. It basically 'pinched' the skin, no bone damage but ripped the skin so bad that the doc couldn't stitch it. That put me out of business for a while and affected my playing for a couple years but I forced myself to use my middle finger more, I wouldn't give up.

I am very conscious of the vulnerability of my hands now, always wear gloves when doing rough work.

·
Administrator
15,823 Posts
...i do a lot of food preparation, as i rarely buy packaged/processed food.

this means a lot of cutting/dicing fruit and vegetables. more than a few times, i have slipped and cut a thumb or finger on my left hand. so far, i've been lucky - all have been minor cuts, with ample time for healing.

i do my best to be cautious, and to stop immediately if i get angry, frustrated or otherwise distracted.

nonetheless, it worries me constantly.

-dh
The butcher with a careless eye, leaves a finger in every pie.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Great time to learn to play slide. That's what I did while waiting for the cast to come off after my carpal tunnel surgery.
When life gives ya lemons... That's pretty creative.

When I had a 1" lumber staple go through the first digit on my pointer finger of my fretting hand, I was pretty upset. I was playing the next night. Hurt like hell. I just stuck mainly to powerchords until I had enough dexterity to use it normally again. It works perfect now.

-Twiggy

·
Premium Member
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I practiced a bit the other day and I was surprised that I could play without any pain at all even though any pressure on top of the nail would hurt like a sonofagun.
Dexterity was a little low at first but I can feel it coming back.
I've been playing a little bit everyday. Almost all of the pain is gone now too.

It looks a lot worse than it is. I had visions of losing the fingernail.

I

·
0 Posts
just recently I dropped a really heated up soldering iron onto my fingers...thats right folks...
That's funny. I sort of did the same thing a few weeks ago when those GWH speakers arrived. My soldering iron stand fell over and like and idiot I reached out and picked it up. It's a bit of copper pipe on a base I put together. Damn. Singed all the fingertips on my left hand. No sleep + solder iron = stupid burns.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Ring Of Fire

Heres some stupidity for you.............docking after fishing with a buddy one summer day I carelessly left my fretting hand hanging over the gunwhale of the boat. The impact was pretty hard and it ended up tearing all the skin off my ring finger (first joint) right down to the flesh. I kept it under water and folded the skin back and put pressure on it until I could bandage it.
I had a gig that night........and even though I had a couple of band aids to hold down the damage I ended up covering the fingerboard of my Gibson Explorer with blood.
Crazy

·
Premium Member
13,028 Posts
I'm glad my problems are with my knees,... and my right eye temporarily,... and not my hands. I'm even happier those problems are minor.

I'm glad I don't live in Afghanistan or Tornado Alley, Missouri.

Hmmm. I have not idea why I just said that.:confused-smiley-010

·
Registered
171 Posts
When i was doing carpentry i would come home with smashed/cut/sliced/diced/bruised hands all the time. I learned the hard way that power tools, hammers,knives, splinters and heavy objects aren't the best things to have around your hands as a musician :D

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I have been taking physio for compressed nerves in my neck, these are the nerves that feed my left shoulder and arm, and would like to pass along some advice for young and old. I have been in compression for 11 weeks now and in that time I have noticed a decrease in muscle mass in these areas. I still have motor control and can play for short periods, the tingling is the thing that gets in the way. The therapist I am visiting is very unique, her office is in her home which is a small hobby farm. So the setting is very relaxing, non clinical. As we age the discs in our back if not properly maintained can become worn lets say and the layer between them can move, as with me two have herniated. I did not have an accident it is basically due to age ... and bad posture. Commuting 200Ks return trip to work in a compact car. The Therapist has prescribed a variety of yoga exercises as a home program to compliment her treatment. I find the yoga exercises really helpful for loosening the body up strengthening them. It also loosens you up for playing.. The treatments she is giving me and these exercises have had a positive effect on my condition over the last couple weeks. The pain is now more manageable, put away the big guns and now use tylenol. The tingling is still there but I have just started her program and she says 6-8 weeks hopefully. The advice is sit straight, watch your playing posture, sleeping posture and start stretching...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts