The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just joined today, and i'm hoping I might find other people who enjoy playing or hacking away at songs with rocksmith on guitar or bass. I'm 50 and never picked up a guitar until 2 years ago when my nephew told me about rocksmith. 2 years later , I have too many guitars and a couple of basses, and still thoroughly enjoy playing rocksmith , mostly on weekends. Last week they released a 5 pack of Transiberian Orchestra songs, and next week will be a 5 pack of Steve Miller songs.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I guess for personal info purposes, I have 2 Epiphone Special 2's, 1 Epi Studio, 1 Epi Standard, an Epi custom pro and a couple of basses. Music-wise, Pearl Jam and Nirvana are my favorite bands, as well as the 80's metal like Ozzy, van halen, triumph, rush etc... but with Rocksmith I play anything from Willie Nelson, to Pantera and everything in between....lol

·
Administrator
523 Posts
I too enjoy the Rocksmith. I play mostly on PS3, but I also bought it on Steam for the PC. With the PC version, you can load in custom songs (free) and play them. I've got around 500 songs on the PC.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I too enjoy the Rocksmith. I play mostly on PS3, but I also bought it on Steam for the PC. With the PC version, you can load in custom songs (free) and play them. I've got around 500 songs on the PC.
nice .. I've got 550 official songs on ps3, and probably 1000 on my pc version, but I rarely use the pc version, cause i'm too lazy to lug my laptop downstairs and hook it up to the tv etc...lol... I use the ps3 version 99% of the time, but the pc one is awesome too. From Ottawa too I see, that's great !

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I haven't played RS. I'd heard a bunch about it when it first came out but that was about it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome to the forum!

I haven't played RS. I'd heard a bunch about it when it first came out but that was about it.
Are you allowed to post a youtube vid link on here ? Sorry i'm new and haven't read many posts/threads yet

·
Premium Member
Air guitar
3,254 Posts
Are you allowed to post a youtube vid link on here ? Sorry i'm new and haven't read many posts/threads yet
Only if they're cool ;)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Only if they're cool ;)
all right, well here's an example of what the rocksmith interface looks like with 1 of the latest songs they released... keep in mind its at 100 % notes/chords and speed, you can slow the songs down or have it level you up slowly, or break it into chunks etc... cause at 100% speed and difficulty it usually seems like information overload to people new to using it.... just takes a few days for your eyes and brain to start processing the unique visuals of it...and no that's not me playing....my legs are hairier!!! , but it is a dude from Toronto , I believe who has a website called 'the riff repeater' which is rocksmith related... he can really play compared to my hacking!!
Keep in mind if you find the strings confusing, there is an option to invert the strings for you tabbers, to make it seem more 'normal'...lol

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I loved the idea of Rocksmith....until I tried it. I found the latency to be too much for me to get my head around.
Yeah , but there are ways to crrect it. There is an option, under options menu , called lag correction. If you scroll or move the tab in it over, it will make the lag better or worse depending which way you move it. I had some lag when I started but after messing with the lag correction option it works great. Others fin an optical cable works for them, me i'm just running hdmi from my tv to the ps3, and then I used the lag correction option to get it bang on...took some fiddling with it to get it right

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Welcome. I didn't know they had TSO on there. My son had it for a while when he had a PS and I used it for a bit also. I think it is a really good learning tool for those who don't have the discipline or patience for lessons, TAB etc

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Welcome. I didn't know they had TSO on there. My son had it for a while when he had a PS and I used it for a bit also. I think it is a really good learning tool for those who don't have the discipline or patience for lessons, TAB etc
I agree...I've only used rocksmith because I can't afford weekly lessons. I first tried watching youtube guys like marty Schwartz and justinguitar, but practicing the small stuff was boring me, even though its probably the better way. But when my nephew showed me rocksmith I was hooked, because for me its just fun hacking away at different songs for an hour or 2 instead. I can play 10-15 songs in an hour , as opposed to working on 1 small chunk, riff or whatever. Basically it keeps me from getting bored and more importantly it keeps me wanting to pick up my uitar. I know so many new people that buy a guitar and after a week or 2 they never touch it again. TSO just got added last week. the game came with 55 songs , I believe, but every week rocksmith releases a new pack of songs which you can buy individually or as a pack. Next week they are releasing a 5-pack of Steve Miller band including 'the joker' as one song, the rest get revealed on Monday. the list of songs available can be found here List of downloadable songs for Rocksmith - Wikipedia... you can sort the table by artist, song year, or rocksmith release date. Most of these are only available for the 2014 Rocksmith Remastered version, not the original rocksmith from 2012... the 2014 is soooo much better visuals and options , and usability with less visual clutter.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
also i'm guessing you're a Gord Downie fan, and there is a website called customsforge where you can download unofficial songs, if you have the pc version of the game. Someone created the site for users who can use some sort of program to switch regular tab to rocksmith tab and it loads int the game. Theres a TON of tragically hip songs on there for example , on bass, I enjoy

·
Premium Member
4,952 Posts
Ottawa guy here too. Never heard of RockSmith but I’m having fun with Fender’s free RiffStation app on the iPad.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
also i'm guessing you're a Gord Downie fan, and there is a website called customsforge where you can download unofficial songs, if you have the pc version of the game. Someone created the site for users who can use some sort of program to switch regular tab to rocksmith tab and it loads int the game. Theres a TON of tragically hip songs on there for example , on bass, I enjoy
Awesome. Does the PC version require running the disc every time you use it or is it simply to install the software? I play a lot of Hip stuff now, but by ear. I can't read a lick and I'm sure I'm not playing it 100% accurately because I have a hard time hearing every single note. It would be good to see what I can pick up and what I can fix.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Awesome. Does the PC version require running the disc every time you use it or is it simply to install the software? I play a lot of Hip stuff now, but by ear. I can't read a lick and I'm sure I'm not playing it 100% accurately because I have a hard time hearing every single note. It would be good to see what I can pick up and what I can fix.
the pc version I downloaded from Steam, with no disc, just a download. Steam is a games website. Make sure you purchase rocksmith 2014, not the original one from 2012.. The special cable is the exact same one as fr ps3,4 or xbox's. Then you would have to go to customs forge and download and install stuff from their site to make it compatible, there's youtube videos on how to do it or instructions in the forums of the customsforge site. Having said all that, The songs on there are created by rocksmith users , so the tab, tones etc might not be exactly correct. I find official rocksmith songs are created better than a lot of the ones on forge, as they are only as good as the tab used and the user who created it. The whole customsforge thing my wife had to install for me cause i'm computer illiterate..lol... if you want a shortcut, without buying the game , just youtube "rocksmith tragically hip" and there are a ton of videos posted to play along too with your amp, but none are official dlc, as apparently the band hasn't licensed their stuff yet... The customsforge site does have over 20,000 songs to download, if you want to go that route... also with forge, many of the songs may have been created without DD or dynamic difficulty, which is what the game uses to start you out slowly and then gradually add more notes/chords/ strumming. a lot of the forge stuff is set strictly to 100% of the notes,chords and everything...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ottawa guy here too. Never heard of RockSmith but I’m having fun with Fender’s free RiffStation app on the iPad.
Does anyone on this site get together, cause i'd enjoy showing off rocksmith to people who haven't tried it before. You can have 2 people playing at the same time 1 on lead, 1 rhytm, or 1 bass etc... I have a few cales and it just splits the screen in half for 2 - player mode... if anyone's interested in hanging for an evening and checking it out , lemme know

·
Premium Member
8,713 Posts
Does anyone on this site get together, cause i'd enjoy showing off rocksmith to people who haven't tried it before. You can have 2 people playing at the same time 1 on lead, 1 rhytm, or 1 bass etc... I have a few cales and it just splits the screen in half for 2 - player mode... if anyone's interested in hanging for an evening and checking it out , lemme know
I would if you were closer. I can't wrap my head around what I'm looking at.

"I think I'm dumb" - Kurt Cobain

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
I would if you were closer. I can't wrap my head around what I'm looking at.

"I think I'm dumb" - Kurt Cobain
It’s a bit strange at first. When you play the game, it gives you the positioning on the fretboard and forecasts the notes coming toward you and any technique that goes with them such as bends, slides, vibrato etc. It also shows you when you are late on the note. (Some don’t care for the fact you don’t hear sour notes, the game corrects bad timing audibly so as not to discourage new players so the song still plays and sounds good)
The game also starts new players at a base level, releasing more notes as the players skills improve

1 - 20 of 53 Posts