The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be in Ottawa this weekend. Have to drive my family there for my grand daughters cheer competition. So I've reserved Saturday to visit the music stores. I've got Long and Mcquade in Kanata and Lauzons music, both of which I've been to before and spent lots of money. I'm just wondering if there are any others worth visiting.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Never been to the bricks and mortar store but been often to the website of Spaceman Music at 338 Gladstone.

Reactions: bluebayou

·
Premium Member
17,317 Posts
Never been to the bricks and mortar store but been often to the website of Spaceman Music at 338 Gladstone.
Knowing @guitarman personally and having been to Spaceman Music several times, I think he (specifically) would find that store "a long run for a short slide".

Just my thoughts. No offence to anyone intended ...and not knocking Spaceman Music in any way.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I will give my vote for Spaceman. I like that store VERY much. However since @greco knows the man ( :D ), Dave's words have much more wait
However - @guitarman2 can check spaceman's website and if something catches his eyes - then he can decide if it is worth the trip.

Spaceman reminds me to 12fret in Toronto. Looks more like a museum then store

·
Premium Member
2,095 Posts
I agree on Spaceman. Always lots of funky old stuff. I'm only in Ottawa once a year now but I used to be there several times year on business. I always try to look in on Spaceman when I'm there. If you're looking for high end brand names, probably not the place. If you're into old, funky gear it's definitely the place.

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looking at the website didn't tell me much but I think I'm going to respect Grecos opinion on this one. He knows that my main interest is high end gear, boutique, etc. I only have about 4 to 5 hours on Saturday so would like to invest my time where its worth it. Lauzons is a definite visit. If I can get a recommendation for something better than L&M I'd be willing to scratch them from the list as they are kind of out of the way. Although my last visit there about 4 years ago I was impressed with their inventory.
C'mon a city like Ottawa has to have one or 2 more worthwhile music stores besides L&M and Lauzons.

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Spaceman reminds me to 12fret in Toronto. Looks more like a museum then store
The description of spaceman I'm reading here doesn't resemble anything like what I saw on my visit to 12th fret. When I visited 12th fret 2 1/2 years ago they had the most amazing inventory of high end acoustics. Froggy Bottom, Bourgeois, Dalton, Martin Authentic and much more. If that is what Spaceman music is like then I'd definitely want to visit.

·
Premium Member
17,317 Posts
However - @guitarman2 can check spaceman's website and if something catches his eyes - then he can decide if it is worth the trip.
Excellent advice!

If you're into old, funky gear it's definitely the place.
We always stay about two blocks away from Spaceman music and I can easily walk to it. I like "old and funky" and the prices seem generally reasonable IMHO. The staff have always been nice and friendly to me.

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Excellent advice!

We always stay about two blocks away from Spaceman music and I can easily walk to it. I like "old and funky" and the prices seem generally reasonable IMHO. The staff have always been nice and friendly to me.
My wife tells me that where we are staying is close to the airport which is very close to the arena the cheer competition is held. So not sure if that is close to Spaceman. If its along my travels, not far out of the way then I can definitely put it on the itinerary.

·
Occasional CEO
JB Custom
1,821 Posts
My wife tells me that where we are staying is close to the airport which is very close to the arena the cheer competition is held. So not sure if that is close to Spaceman. If its along my travels, not far out of the way then I can definitely put it on the itinerary.
If you're staying close to the airport, there is an L&M right on Hunt Club just a few kms away from the airport. Not many music stores (worth visiting) in that area of town though.

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I like it better. More guitars and more used gear.
Yes I just talked to L&M on hunt on the phone and they said they were only 5 minute drive from the airport. No custom shop stuff they said but its close so I'll check it out. I'll still go to Lauzon's and they usually have quite a bit of the Fender custom shop stuff. I bought a Carr Impala at Lauzons a few years ago. They had a really nice selection of boutique amps guitars and pedals.

·
Premium Member
2,095 Posts
I'm always stuck downtown at the Delta Hotel because the organization has an account there. Their office is out at Landsdown and Bank. If the weather is nice I usually walk there and go past Spaceman which is about halfway. Where do you stay that's a couple of blocks away? I may see if I can talk them into changing where I stay.

·
Premium Member
4,266 Posts
Yes I just talked to L&M on hunt on the phone and they said they were only 5 minute drive from the airport. No custom shop stuff they said but its close so I'll check it out. I'll still go to Lauzon's and they usually have quite a bit of the Fender custom shop stuff. I bought a Carr Impala at Lauzons a few years ago. They had a really nice selection of boutique amps guitars and pedals.
You can check out Lauzon’s pretty decent selection of higher-end used guitars on their website. If you go, ask for Sean Finkler. My buddy and I have been dealing with him for years. Super nice guy.

·
Registered
24,359 Posts
Looking at the website didn't tell me much but I think I'm going to respect Grecos opinion on this one. He knows that my main interest is high end gear, boutique, etc. I only have about 4 to 5 hours on Saturday so would like to invest my time where its worth it. Lauzons is a definite visit. If I can get a recommendation for something better than L&M I'd be willing to scratch them from the list as they are kind of out of the way. Although my last visit there about 4 years ago I was impressed with their inventory.
C'mon a city like Ottawa has to have one or 2 more worthwhile music stores besides L&M and Lauzons.
There is a Steve's, but it is sort of the kid brother of the Toronto store. There used to be more music stores in town; International Musicland for new stuff, Retrotown and Used Sound for older stuff. International Musicland closed down. Retrotown sort of exists, but in on-line sales only, and the annual guitar show. Used Sound had interesting stuff but an "interesting" owner, who has since relocated to somewhere in the greater Kingston area from what I'm told. There is a St. John's Music outlet, but it doesn't really have much to distinguish it. Spaceman can usually be relied on for a "Hmm, never seen one of those before" experience.

Fleet Sound should be included. I find it tends to cater to the metal crowd, but it carries the full Ibanez and Blackstar line is that's your taste. You can consider it as "on the way" from L&M Kanata to Lauzon and Spaceman.

As well, if you are driving in, Class Axe in Kemptville (about halfway between the 401 and Ottawa proper) is a decent store, carrying an interesting assortment of guitars.

Finally, if acoustic is your preference, there is a place on Rochester St., whose name escapes me, but might be found under violins, that seems to carry an extensive line of acoustic instruments; mandolins, guitars, banjos, etc.

T'were I, I'd allocate your time to Lauzon and Spaceman. L&M you can find anywhere and everywhere. Fleet probably has its equivalents in your area as well. If you insist, the Hunt Club L&M location carries a bigger selection of stuff than the Kanata location. On the other hand, the Kanata location is only a few blocks from a recently opened Mandarin outlet.

·
Premium Member
2,028 Posts
There is also sounds good music on Rochester Street-has the high end Furch / Stonebridge guitars and some of the double top classical that sell for thousands.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts