The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The preliminary program for this summer's Jazzfest was announced today. A rather typical assortment of performers that sit squarely within jazz Herbie Hancock), and others that sit at its boundaries/perimeter (Alison Krauss, Bela Fleck). One real surprise is the Jerry Granelli Quartet. Drummer Granelli is the only surviving member of the Vince Guaraldi group that did the original Charlie Brown Christmas music. But that's not the surprise. The surprise is that his guitar player is Robben Ford!

·
Registered
569 Posts
My kids were some of the Charlie Brown kids in the Jazzfest production Jerry Granelli did of the Charlie Brown Christmas 2 years ago here in Ottawa. He was awesome with the kids and took a lot of time with them.

I bought a vinyl copy of the album at the show and had him sign it. He wrote "Thanks for loaning us your kids!" It was a fantastic evening full of stories about the history of the album. Highly recommended!

·
Premium Member
27,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
From the notes about the new record: "Drummer Jerry Granelli Reunites with Guitar Greats Bill Frisell & Robben Ford After 25 Years
for Blues-Soaked Repertoire on Dance Hall"
Yeah, I saw that too. But you know, there's folks who show up for a guest spot on your album, and then there's folks who tour with you. I'm not that surprised that Frisell and Ford played on the album with him; they play on a lot of folks' albums. But when I think of all the folks Ford could be touring with, this pairing surprised me.

·
Premium Member
18,838 Posts
Yeah, I saw that too. But you know, there's folks who show up for a guest spot on your album, and then there's folks who tour with you. I'm not that surprised that Frisell and Ford played on the album with him; they play on a lot of folks' albums. But when I think of all the folks Ford could be touring with, this pairing surprised me.
Is it a tour or a fly gig?

·
Premium Member
27,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No idea.

But wait, it gets better. The other guitarist in the band for the show (or maybe tour) is Bob Lanzetti from Snarky Puppy. I don't think I have ever attended anything at Jazzfest, but the idea of Ford and Lanzetti sharing a stage has strong appeal for me. Just hope it's not while I'm out of town.

·
Premium Member
27,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ah well, the scheduling of the Granelli show doesn't work for me. That's the same weekend as Summer NAMM, that I'm planning to attend. But the Son of Goldfinger show on the 22nd does work, and David Torn is one of my heroes, so I hope to attend that one.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Ah well, the scheduling of the Granelli show doesn't work for me. That's the same weekend as Summer NAMM, that I'm planning to attend. But the Son of Goldfinger show on the 22nd does work, and David Torn is one of my heroes, so I hope to attend that one.
Was trying to work out an improv clinic w/ Torn/Berne/Smith for the Saturday (23rd), but doesn't seem timing will work out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts