The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
But really, they're just recreating the hacked new con jobs, main difference being the new con jobs are done in a matching colour.

We got hit by a windstorm in Ottawa pretty bad week before last. Any house built within the last 10-15 years lost patches of their roof and siding. Now every jackass with enough money to buy a ladder is calling themselves a roofer and getting rich off of selling patch jobs that won't last through the next storm.

Check out some of the "repairs" i've seen. If i was to put this in a buzzfeed article with a bunch of popup ads i think i'd make enough royalties to quit roofing. picture #12 will shock you. (but really they all will)

As if lining up rectangles is so bloody hard. The workmanship of some people disgusts me.

·
Premium Member
4,151 Posts
This is really no different than any other similar event, whether it's a flood, wind storm, ice storm or whatever. The simple fact is there will always be people looking to make an easy buck by capitalizing on someone else's misfortune...particularly at a time when all the legitimate businesses are just too busy to take care of everyone. The good news though is that after a few days the unskilled types are back to whatever minimum wage job they called in sick at in order to make a few extra bucks.

G

·
What sort of fasteners do you recommend?
Visible nails are really hack. The work shown is a very bad work. Ask the OP. One should never create an exposed hole in the roof like that. Especially with a nail. Notice the other shingles are nailed in but they are completely covered?

As far as fasteners, if I was to do a shit job like that, I would use roofing screws with the rubber washers. I would put the screw in, then remove it. I would caulk the the hole, then put the screw back in. But shingles should not be tacked on over top of other shingles. Perhaps some fire and ice, then some DAP shingle glue/caulk and lay some bricks on them until the DAP cures. Now they are waterproof and glued on. No new holes, and no nails. I think there must be a proper way to replace the torn shingles, even if it means removing them up to the roof top and replacing the section.

There is a system, and nailing in patches is out of the scope of the shingle repair manual.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I once hired a company to clean my chimney. They told me the head piece was cracked and I allowed to change it. They did. Next year, could not find the guy. Hired another one. He urged me to climb upon my roof nefore he did any work. The head was cracked. He lifted it and I saw what he actually wanted me to see : no mortar, only coal tar between upper bricks and the head piece ! Could not believe it !

G

·
It sounds like you have just barely enough knowledge of roofing to THINK you know something about roofing.

Putting screws in, removing them, sealing hole then rescrewing them? Really?

You might want to do more reading and less typing regarding this subject.
I am sorry I don't know as much as you. I thought this was a discussion and we are free to put out ideas.

My roof has peddler shingles. They were nailed in. We have removed most of the visible nails and filled the holes with caulk and inserted roofing screws into the holes. The guy that worked with me is now about 75 and this was 20 years ago. He spent his life traveling all over USA and Canada repairing roofs. He did everything including those really high church steeples and roofs. So what I know I learned from working with him. We became good friends and I helped him a few times and he talked a lot about his work over the years. As well my father and I re-shingled a roof on one of our houses. So I was just saying my thoughts on how it could be done.

You are quick to criticize me. I assume from your reply you are a roofing ace. Please tell us all the proper way to repair a roof. Or do you think nailing in those patched in shingles in good enough for you?

·
Premium Member
11,814 Posts
I am sorry I don't know as much as you. I thought this was a discussion and we are free to put out ideas.

My roof has peddler shingles. They were nailed in. We have removed most of the visible nails and filled the holes with caulk and inserted roofing screws into the holes. The guy that worked with me is now about 75 and this was 20 years ago. He spent his life traveling all over USA and Canada repairing roofs. He did everything including those really high church steeples and roofs. So what I know I learned from working with him. We became good friends and I helped him a few times and he talked a lot about his work over the years. As well my father and I re-shingled a roof on one of our houses. So I was just saying my thoughts on how it could be done.

You are quick to criticize me. I assume from your reply you are a roofing ace. Please tell us all the proper way to repair a roof. Or do you think nailing in those patched in shingles in good enough for you?
heres the thing....you started with
Nails in the roof are not good.
Dude, like 99% (I'm actually being generous to you here with 99% to allow for some of the roofs you and your buddy did) of shingled roofs as in the pic, are fastened with nails, as per manufacturers guidelines.
How to Install Asphalt Shingles - Roof Shingles Installation Guide - IKO

.. Problems may occur if the shingles are given too much exposure or too little or if they’re not offset by the proper dimension in successive courses (rows of shingles).You must place nails in the proper location and drive them flush with, but not cutting into, the shingle. Nailing the shingles correctly is critical to the roof system’s wind-resistance. Proper nail placement is also a requirement for the shingles’ limited warranty coverage.If you’ve chosen closed valleys, they are completed as shingle courses approach and run through the valley....
Nails, not screws.
Screws are a bad idea because roofs move a lot, expanding and contracting. an over tightened screw will rip right through the shingle, because screws do "grip" better. that's not always a good thing.
obviously, nails shouldn't be exposed the way they are in that pic. but that's not what you originally said.
Screws aren't the be all and end all...Use screws in the wrong place and you wont pass building code.

When to Use Nails Vs. When To Use Screws

goddamn what a nightmare it will be in 10-15 yrs when the roof has to be reshingled, to have to remove all the screws your buddy put in.

Now, a metal roof is a different case. I could see screws being used for that, and its probably required by the manufacturer.

G

·
heres the thing....you started with
Dude, like 99% (I'm actually being generous to you here with 99% to allow for some of the roofs you and your buddy did) of shingled roofs as in the pic, are fastened with nails, as per manufacturers guidelines.
How to Install Asphalt Shingles - Roof Shingles Installation Guide - IKO

Nails, not screws.
Screws are a bad idea because roofs move a lot, expanding and contracting. an over tightened screw will rip right through the shingle, because screws do "grip" better. that's not always a good thing.
obviously, nails shouldn't be exposed the way they are in that pic. but that's not what you originally said.
Screws aren't the be all and end all...Use screws in the wrong place and you wont pass building code.

When to Use Nails Vs. When To Use Screws

goddamn what a nightmare it will be in 10-15 yrs when the roof has to be reshingled, to have to remove all the screws your buddy put in.

Now, a metal roof is a different case. I could see screws being used for that, and its probably required by the manufacturer.
It's a metal roof that has been on the house since 1940, and it is in really good shape. So it is around 78 years old. Nails in the ridgecaps have popped up. So they are removed, the holes caulked, and screws put in where necessary. Most of the roofs my buddy worked on were metal. Barns, parliament buildings, catholic churches etc. He used to fix the really high steeples. Worked like a mountain climber.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It sounds like you have just barely enough knowledge of roofing to THINK you know something about roofing.

Putting screws in, removing them, sealing hole then rescrewing them? Really?

You might want to do more reading and less typing regarding this subject.
Roofers don't read, he'll fit right in with the "pros"

That's not as bad as what I saw last week. Instead of a proper concrete cap, someone had put a couple of 1'x3' concrete patio pads on top....held down by a couple of bricks.
that's trailer park 101. put old tires on the roof to hold the shingles down.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.