The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a Traynor YGM1 on whichI want to change the original Marsland speaker for something new.

I have the 4 machine screws out but the speaker won't budge. I'm worried they glued the speaker in as well as using screws (belt and suspenders?). But that doesn't make sense from a maintenance perspective. But if it is glued in and I really pry it out, I'm going to damage the baffle for sure.

Anyone ever swap the speaker in one of these? Is it glued/sealed in? What's the secret to get it out without damaging the cab?

Many thanks.

· Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you are right. I applied even more force and it came off all at once with a bang. No sign of glue, but it could have been tacky paint. Thanks for the help.

· Premium Member
1,742 Posts
I know about the tacky paint from reading and first hand experience with the Dr. Z amps.

Installing the speaker while the surface is slightly tacky eliminates all potential buzz.

At least you know that yours was a virgin.

· Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You are both quite right! It came unstuck and no damage to the baffle. Got the new speaker in (which I had already test driven on this amp via an external cab) and it sounds great.

Still the original filter caps too as near as I can tell, and dead silent - no hum at all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.