The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a Traynor YGM1 on whichI want to change the original Marsland speaker for something new.

I have the 4 machine screws out but the speaker won't budge. I'm worried they glued the speaker in as well as using screws (belt and suspenders?). But that doesn't make sense from a maintenance perspective. But if it is glued in and I really pry it out, I'm going to damage the baffle for sure.

Anyone ever swap the speaker in one of these? Is it glued/sealed in? What's the secret to get it out without damaging the cab?

Many thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
Might have been installed while the paint was still tacky. Dr. Z still does that. Work the edge of the speaker with a thin scraper until it frees up.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think you are right. I applied even more force and it came off all at once with a bang. No sign of glue, but it could have been tacky paint. Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
I know about the tacky paint from reading and first hand experience with the Dr. Z amps.

Installing the speaker while the surface is slightly tacky eliminates all potential buzz.

At least you know that yours was a virgin.

·
Registered
136 Posts
You won't damage the baffle by yanking it but the foam around the edge of the speaker might pull of. If it comes off in strips you can glue it back on. But if they're crappy old Marsland's you're discarding it won't matter much anyway. Just clean up the edge of the hole before putting the new drivers in.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You are both quite right! It came unstuck and no damage to the baffle. Got the new speaker in (which I had already test driven on this amp via an external cab) and it sounds great.

Still the original filter caps too as near as I can tell, and dead silent - no hum at all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts