The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

Does anyone know if any of the CDN on-line shops carry original Floyds? I want to upgrade the licenced Floyd POS on my old Ibanez. I was gonna replace the guitar, but it has sentimental value (my first "real" guitar).

Or, if anyone knows of a local dealer in Calgary I'm gonna be up that way next week.

Thanks,
Kirb

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man.

I have a '96 MIK RG270DX. It has a TRS and still has the stock Powersound PU's, and I'll probably replace those as well.

I haven't decided 100% yet. I'd rather have a rounder neck profile and I'm not a big fan of H-S-H pickup configs either. I may just pick up a LTD M or H series to replace it instead. But as I said, this was my first decent guitar so part of my soul is buried in there.

·
Registered
319 Posts
gtrguy said:
If your Ibanez is an upper end model with an Edge (I, II, Pro) than it's pretty much better than an original Floyd...the Edge series was a refinement of the basic Floyd design.

However, if you've got a lower end model with a TRS or whatever, yeah ditch it...

If you can't track down a Floyd, just get a Schaller, they manufacture the bridges for Floyd Rose and the Schaller version also has some upgrades on the Floyd design. Physically they are identical other than the string lock bolts at the back of the bridge. See image:

gtrguy
Actually the Schaller has a thicker base plate than the "Original Floyd"
and therefore not as harsh or top endy as the "Original"........ By the way a couple of years back I dropped a Schaller floyd from one of my old Hamer USA guitars into an RG LO TRS trem cavity without having to do any extra routing but I did have to enlarge the holes for and replace the stud/anchor bolts with the schallers. Big improvement with minimal effort.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah - I think you sent me pics/info on your mod a while back.

Tne reason I want to go with an original FR is I don't want to mod anything. Now that I've looked closer, Mine has a licenced Floyd, not a TRS as I originally thought.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts