The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was listening to Motorhead the other day and was thinking how all three original members have passed on withing a two year period. I got to thinking, how many bands of the classic rock era (60's to 80's mainly) are completely gone. i.e. all original members are dead. The only other one I could think of is The Jimi Hendrix Experience.
Can any of you come up with any others?

Reactions: Scotty

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
the Ramones

Skynyrd is awful close. I guess the Beatles and Travelling Wilburys are close too

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cream is pretty close, though I hope Eric stays around for a while longer.

Reactions: Scotty

·
Registered
658 Posts
Only 1/2 of the Who are left... which is odd, cause if Daltry tours as "Daltry", he plays a 5000 seat venue. If he adds Pete, they call themselves "the Who", they sell out stadiums! Oh, there's the operative word... "Sellout".

I don't know about passed away, but every seat in Heart has turned over a few times. I guess as long as Ann & Nancy are upfront, it's "Heart".

·
Premium Member
12,594 Posts
Will the real Queensryche (sorry, no oomlaaas on keyboardy) please stand up.

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My OP was really concerned with all original members being dead. I know, a bit morbid but you know what they say, The morbid, The merrier!

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
I was listening to Motorhead the other day and was thinking how all three original members have passed on withing a two year period. I got to thinking, how many bands of the classic rock era (60's to 80's mainly) are completely gone. i.e. all original members are dead. The only other one I could think of is The Jimi Hendrix Experience.
Can any of you come up with any others?
I know John Bonham does a Led Zep tribute & Dwezil Zappa does his Zappa on Zappa show. Not quite the same as a band with no original members, but it’s got me thinking about the concept of a franchise type legacy act performing well liked music. I think it’s an interesting proposition. I’ve seen Dave Mustaine’s son playing along with Megadeth and he’s quite a musician in his own right. In a situation like that, could he carry on for his father with Megadeth as a touring act? I know it’s not the same to a fan, but would it be viable for these guys to earn a living: I think the answer is yes.

Also, the Trans Siberian Orchestra has two full touring bands. It’s an example of an act where the members can be replaced but the act can continue. I think there’s an interesting opportunity ahead for performing musicians.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Skid Row was the start of the Phil Lynott/Gary Moore partnership that lasted all through the Lizzy years

1 - 17 of 17 Posts