The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...i just took delivery of two RS Super Pots from RS Guitarworks in kentucky.

total cost: $30

total cost to me: $65

i don't recall this happening with orders I received from kinman, lawrence or guitar fetish.

in any case, it won't happen again...

:mad:

-dh

·
Premium Member
16,650 Posts
Holy crap.

A better supplier would assess the cost and offer a more reasonable carrier.

Once bitten twice shy eh?

I don't blame you a bit.:eek:

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Y'all should sticky a thread warning Canadian's about ordering from the US, lol seems like it happens quite a bit.

Fedex / UPS you're guaranteed to get charged... USPS there is less (or no?) chance of getting charged right? Was never clear on that part... all I knew was UPS and now Fedex (from the PODxt thread in the effects forum).

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
...ups, and thanks for moving the thread to the appropriate forum, jeff. i sat here scratching my head for the longest time.

so much for free trade, eh?

-dh
Nothing to do with free trade, you got dinged a brokerage charge which was basically UPS's inflated fee for filling out customs documents to clear your item at the border.

UPS and Fedex also offer expedited and express services which include this service in the original fee.

Never ever get a small item shipped up here via Fedex or UPS ground. Small items should be shipped postal or not at all.

·
Registered
561 Posts
a little heads up, USPS has basically tripled their parcel rates (May 1).

The best companies consolidate to Canada however since MI is so tiny, it is unlikely to happen with musical instruments. If you need electronic parts or shipping supplies companies like Digikey and Uline only charge the freight from a point on the border after clearance.

Andy

·
Registered
561 Posts
David and others, q: if I had the same 2 pots in stock and they were $40CDN + applicable taxes and shipping, would you buy from us?

Andy

ps. we're not here to debate the cost of imports, most of our products are sold at the exchange equivalents of US selling prices, these parts would end up costing a bit more.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Fedex / UPS you're guaranteed to get charged... USPS there is less (or no?) chance of getting charged right? Was never clear on that part... all I knew was UPS and now Fedex (from the PODxt thread in the effects forum).
There can still be extra costs with USPS/Canada Post. Recently I ordered 3 t-shirts and there was an extra $20 fee on them.

If something is made outside of North America then expect to pay extra.

I

·
0 Posts
a little heads up, USPS has basically tripled their parcel rates (May 1).
I'm seeing the effects of this in the speaker order I just placed with guitar warehouse. 6 speakers and the shipping was more than the cost of the speakers! Man, there better not be any duty or GST on those when they land on this side of the line...

·
Registered
485 Posts
Your best bet is to ship anything small through USPS and have the vendor mark the parcel as a 'gift'. That way you're not dinged all sorts of silly inappropriate fees. And before y'all start accusing me of being dishonest, let me just say that I'll be honest just as soon as our government decides to be fair and honest. I once had to pay more fees on an US-origin parcel than it was actually worth, all government/customs bull****. :sport-smiley-002:

I

·
0 Posts
Your best bet is to ship anything small through USPS and have the vendor mark the parcel as a 'gift'. That way you're not dinged all sorts of silly inappropriate fees. And before y'all start accusing me of being dishonest, let me just say that I'll be honest just as soon as our government decides to be fair and honest. I once had to pay more fees on an US-origin parcel than it was actually worth, all government/customs bull****. :sport-smiley-002:
Gift used to work quite well. Not so much any more. The last few pedal boards I shipped into the US got taxed (what happend to NAFTA? I thought Canadian manufactured goods were duty free...). It was kind of funny to get these calls from Americans who were confused by this extra bill from the post office...like I had some control over it. Anyways, marking things as "Sample" is another way to get it by the guards.

·
Registered
561 Posts
thanks for the feedback, we're trying some new things...

a great assortment of CRAZY:banana: eyeland straps just left via fedex so I'll be posting pics as soon as they arrive. Prices will be way better than ordering direct. :smilie_flagge17: and yes, I even ordered a Strapasaurus!!!!

btw, I put RS pots and caps in 4 of my personal axes, what a great improvement from something so simple (passive electronics)

Andy

1 - 18 of 18 Posts