The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I couldn't find much info on ordering from Thomann and what would happen upon being shipped to Canada, so I thought I would post my experience here. In August I ordered the following items from Thomman.de. I put the prices I paid in Canadian $ after each item, and I also divided the shipping up and added it to each item roughly by value. So the price reflects my cost including shipping in Canadian $.
  1. Xvive W3 Memory Delay $141
  2. Digitech the Drop $136
  3. TC June-60 chorus $58
  4. TC 3rd Dimension chorus $51
  5. Waldorf Streichfett String synth $300
I think all of the above is made in China.

I was not sure what to expect from Canada Customs and Canada Post. I am happy to report they didn't add a crazy duty charge or anything. So the prices listed above are what I paid in the end.

The Digitech came with an EU adapter. The Waldorf an International one.

P.S. The Xvive W3 pedal is awesome! A tweaked Memory Man by the original designer!
It took 2 weeks to ship total. The shipping price was a flat 50€. It initially shipped via DHL but Canada Post took over once it got to Canada.It only took 5 days to get to Canada, and Canada Customs had the package for 9 days.

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info.
No problem. I was really surprised by how much cheaper some of this stuff was shipped from the EU. I guess warranty claims would likely be denied in Canada, but some of this stuff was getting close to half price!

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
Very interesting. Some of the videos of Thomann that Chapman posts are pretty amazing.

The thought had never crossed my mind that I might consider ordering from them.

C

·
Registered
3 Posts
CETA is a new trade agreement between the EU and Canada.

It cuts tariffs and makes it easier to export goods and services, benefitting people and businesses in both the EU and Canada.

CETA entered into force provisionally on 21 September 2017, meaning most of the agreement now applies.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Did not order from Thoman. A guy I know in France did order his Loar LH-600 and was happy.
Did buy many CDs, DVDs and music books made in USA from U.K. during last five years and was surprised how much I could save and how fast they arrived compared to ordering from USA...

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
About 5 years ago I ordered a stomp bass drum thing from Logjam in the UK. I got creamed on import. Probably a lot cheaper now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I couldn't find much info on ordering from Thomann and what would happen upon being shipped to Canada, so I thought I would post my experience here. In August I ordered the following items from Thomman.de. I put the prices I paid in Canadian $ after each item, and I also divided the shipping up and added it to each item roughly by value. So the price reflects my cost including shipping in Canadian $.
  1. Xvive W3 Memory Delay $141
  2. Digitech the Drop $136
  3. TC June-60 chorus $58
  4. TC 3rd Dimension chorus $51
  5. Waldorf Streichfett String synth $300
I think all of the above is made in China.

I was not sure what to expect from Canada Customs and Canada Post. I am happy to report they didn't add a crazy duty charge or anything. So the prices listed above are what I paid in the end.

The Digitech came with an EU adapter. The Waldorf an International one.

P.S. The Xvive W3 pedal is awesome! A tweaked Memory Man by the original designer!
It took 2 weeks to ship total. The shipping price was a flat 50€. It initially shipped via DHL but Canada Post took over once it got to Canada.It only took 5 days to get to Canada, and Canada Customs had the package for 9 days.
Thank you for posting. I am about to place my first order with Thomann and was concerned about duty charges.

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for posting. I am about to place my first order with Thomann and was concerned about duty charges.
👍🏻
How is the shipping now? I heard it went up a lot.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I haven't placed my order yet but I was quoted at Thomann checkout, 2 guitars shipped to Toronto would cost me $81 cad. So basically a brand new Les Paul copy and a telecaster copy delivered to my door for $600 incl. shipping.

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I haven't placed my order yet but I was quoted at Thomann checkout, 2 guitars shipped to Toronto would cost me $81 cad. So basically a brand new Les Paul copy and a telecaster copy delivered to my door for $600 incl. shipping.
Nice. Sounds cheap still. I am eyeballing a few of those Harley Benton guitars myself.

·
Premium Member
25,360 Posts
Thanks for posting this. There's a whole lot of "Hmmm, I don't know" when ordering from another country.

·
Premium Member
17,602 Posts
Nice. Sounds cheap still. I am eyeballing a few of those Harley Benton guitars myself.

Please post if you do. They seem to be gaining popularity in the "cheap and decent" segment.

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update:

Ordered a Pro 1 synth from Thomann.
Shipped yesterday from Germany. Arrived overnight in Canada. Will be delivered tomorrow.

But;
It was shipped UPS.
I had to pay brokerage and tax. Brokerage was only $10. First time it was less than $60 for me ever. Tax was normal. Still came out ahead, just not as much as it seemed at first.
Last time it shipped DHL then Canada Post. No brokerage or additional fees.
Shipping was 24 Euros.

Reactions: bigboki

·
Premium Member
9,265 Posts
Man, some of that Harley Benton stuff is neat looking, takes me back to the days I spent a lot of time looking at Agile, which were generally OK quality guitars. Wonder how these compare. The HB 12 string (out of stock) has caught my eye.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts