The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had an expensive experience ordering from the U.S. I couldn't find Fender's (Meguiar's) guitar wax kit anywhere in the Montreal area so on the "net" I went. American Musical Supply had it (in stock). A quick toll free call and the order was placed. Ten days later and I had the kit in my "hot little hands". The cost...? 24.95 (US funds) about 29.95 (CAD) add UPS shipping about $49.33!! Well I figured, thats the cost of doing business. By the way, I happened to notice the "Made in Canada" on the bottles of wax (this really burned me up). Some weeks later, additional bill for $12.05 for brokerage fee was now due (sent in french only, from Ontario head office -I live in Quebec). The grand total now: $61.38 or more then twice the original Canadian value!!!

Bogoboy is very pissed!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I don't want to bum you out but I ordered the kit from Archambault downtown (Fender Dealer). Cost me $35 bucks a year ago.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I have to order certain old Hammond stuff from Goff Professional, and they only ship UPS. Basically doubles the cost.
I'll try to use UPS only on high $ items, like a guitar. If the guy won't ship USPS, the brokerage will kill you. Always be careful of this on Ebay.

On the other hand, I'm shipping my R9 to the US to get some work done, and UPS is the better deal, and Canada Post won't insure over $1000.

·
Registered
272 Posts
torndownunit said:
That's what happens when you use UPS. You can get deals from American stores, you have to make sure they will ship the item USPS or you are going to get screwed.
+1

Alternatively, if the sender insists on dealing with UPS tell them you'll pay extra for air/priority shipping - that includes brokerage fees (although UPS is still a ripoff).

·
Premium Member
13,057 Posts
Jeff Flowerday said:
Seems everyone gets stung once...
The first time I got stung by UPS, the lady on the other end of the phone threatened to hang up if I didn't stop *&^[email protected]#$ .

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
valen said:
I don't want to bum you out but I ordered the kit from Archambault downtown (Fender Dealer). Cost me $35 bucks a year ago.
I tried there but not in stock.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Robboman said:
I've had almost the same experience, several times. Now I'll go to great lengths to buy stuff within Canada whenever possible.
Me too! But sometimes we have no choice- FREE TRADE INDEED!

Bogoboy

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Yup ... I learned the same lesson the hard way too ...

DO NOT use FedEx, UPS or any other courier type service for shipping from US. They charge ridiculous customs brokerage fees even if you did not purchase the item ... my Fulltone FD2 was sent for repair and they (FedEx) wanted to charge me for customs clearance when the pedal was shipped back. I said "no thanks" and went to the airport and cleared it myself.

US Postal Service Global Express is the way to go, trackable and no brokerage fees ... still get shafted for GST/PST but there's no way around that I guess.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
iggs said:
Yup ... I learned the same lesson the hard way too ...

DO NOT use FedEx, UPS or any other courier type service for shipping from US. They charge ridiculous customs brokerage fees even if you did not purchase the item ...
American Musical Supply will only ship using a courier (I asked).

Bogoboy

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
That sucks man.

Similar thing happened to me. Bought a DS-1 for $40CDN shipped from a guy in California. When UPS was done raping me, I ended up paying an additional $60 in brokerage, duties and taxes. Could of bought it new at L&M for $65. What an experience. Beg for USPS if you buy something from the States. If the seller or online store insists on using UPS or any other courier I tell too bad I'll shop elsewhere.

Hey, at least you got the product you wanted.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The point I was trying to make earlier is that the store I went to (archambeault) to find the Fender polish kit did not have it in stock as a regular item but they ordered it for me and I got it in two weeks and paid $35 CDN. Just because a store does not have something in stock, if they are a dealer of the manufacturer of the product, they can get it for you and you don't have to deal with shipping , duty and all that jazz.

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
valen said:
The point I was trying to make earlier is that the store I went to (archambeault) to find the Fender polish kit did not have it in stock as a regular item but they ordered it for me and I got it in two weeks and paid $35 CDN. Just because a store does not have something in stock, if they are a dealer of the manufacturer of the product, they can get it for you and you don't have to deal with shipping , duty and all that jazz.

Ya but here is where the problem is, and why I still buy US. How come it seems it takes the stores up to a month in most cases to order something, when I can buy it online and have it here in 3 days?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
In Dec. 2006 my son bought (from Archambeault)a Fender RI 62 and he wanted a black deluxe case NOT the brown one that comes with the guitar. They were very good about allowing us to exchange the case BUT it (as always in Canada) was not in stock and had to be ordered. Today-almost (3 months later!!!), I finally got a call from them - its in. I'm gettin' tired of going into Canadian shops that have a MIM or MIJ Fender behind glass like it's some museum piece. There's even a store in the Montreal area that calls itself a "Fender Dealer" that ONLY stocks Squires and if you want to pay in advance (in full!!) they will order you a guitar - 3 month waiting.

Last summer we were in the States on holidays, I walked into a music store ( medium sized) they had LP's in seven or eight colours (I'm generalizing a bit here). Strats, Tele's etc. and it was no big deal to try anything.

In short, it's hard when you want buy something specialized (guitar equipment etc.) and it's NOT AVAILABLE HERE. I also find it annoying that Canadian music stores don't want us to know the Cdn price - this protectionist attitude is fifty years out of date.

Bogoboy

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
torndownunit said:
Ya but here is where the problem is, and why I still buy US. How come it seems it takes the stores up to a month in most cases to order something, when I can buy it online and have it here in 3 days?
A month? Where are you buyin' stuff?

Damn... I got Class Axe in Kemptville to order me a MXR Wylde Overdrive pedal and it came in 4 days and a Dunlop JH-1 Wah came in 5. Then Steve's in Ottawa ordered me a Line 6 Spider III 75 and it took a week, which I then exchanged for a Marshall AVT50HX.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts