The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i ordered a 2x12 from Steamco today. Black on Black with a pair of Hellatone 60s (broken in Celestion V 30s) to go with my 50 watt V. They say it will probibly be 2 to 3 weeks, can hardly wait. $542 to my door ...not a bad price I thought. I,ll let you folks know how it sounds.:rockon2:

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeppers......been without a cab for about a year now. Last one was a homebuilt with two 74 (according to the serial #) greenbacks I got out of a beat up Marshall cab I found in Ottawa (should have hung onto that one, sold it to a Queens student). I,m stoked....

·
Registered
698 Posts
I picked up a closed back V30 loaded Avatar 2x12 from Steamco earlier this year. I thought it was a huge improvement over my old Marshal 1936, but when a friend of mine heard it the other night he was just raving about it. He says it makes my Laney sound like a totally different amp. Much tighter, more articulate. It makes a fella feel pretty good when a guy with that much talent is raving about your gear... :D

Mine was just under $500 shipped to my door. I got one of the "stock" models though (2x12 closed-back with V30's & wheat grille) so it was a little cheaper than the "custom" model.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Hey Emohawk,
What model of Laney do you play? I haven't had the pleasure of trying out an Avatar yet. I gotta say one of the best sounding (worst looking) cabs I have is an old Yahama 4x12 with original speakers. It snarls real good.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
hey ripper....emohawk...*edit button*:food-smiley-004:

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Nice. I've been trying to talk my guitarist into one of those. He wants a 4x12 to go with his 4x10, but I tell him a 2x12 is enough. Let us know what you think!

·
Registered
698 Posts
Ripper said:
Hey Emohawk,
What model of Laney do you play?
I have a GH100TI (Tony Iommi sig head). Got it for a steal used in pristine condition. I still want a Recto, but this was a deal I couldn't pass on (especially being an Iommi/Sabbath nut). It took a re-tube to really bring it to life...the factory Ruby pre's & EH power tubes were rather muddy (and VERY noisy). I now have 12AX7C's & EL34LS's in there & it's a completely different amp. The Avatar cab also made a huge difference.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I got mine last week...just a great sound. Posted a mini review of it. Avatar Cab thread...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts