The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have described my fretting hand as a small aging hand with stubby fingers, a dwarf pinky and an almost dwarf thumb a number of times on this forum. It makes me think of that story by Billy Gibbons He related the time of how backstage prior to a gig with B.B. King some years past they exchanged axes briefly..Billy noted aloud to B.B. the gauge on "Lucille" was really light. B.B.told him that he had been using really light strings for years .008 on the high end. Gibbons was using a heavier gauge on his guitar. 'Why are you working so hard"? was B.B.'s retort to Billy.

I recently installed a set of 9-40 balanced tension on my daughters guitar (Squier Tele) and rather enjoyed them. So I thought, hey,... and ordered a set of 8-38 EB Extra Slinky. Will try them out on my SG. I figure I can add some body with the amp EQ and an EQ pedal. Will let you know.

Reactions: greco

·
Premium Member
17,191 Posts
I don't think my hands are all that strong and, because of that, I am now using 10-47s on all of my acoustic guitars.

I'll be interested to see what you think of the 8-38s on your electric.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
These are what you want from the man himself. Also come in 7's and 9's.

·
Premium Member
4,431 Posts
I hear you Robert. I had been playing 10-46 for the last 30 years or so and after some advise from a fellow guitarist here i switched over to 09-42. What a difference especially when bending strings a lot. It took me a short time to get used to them on my Tele but still use 10-46 on my Strat as i dont use it to play country and no need to bend all the time.

·
Premium Member
4,474 Posts
I've actually gone the other way around. When I first started playing i thought the heavier gauge was hard to play so i bought mostly 9's, but my last batch of strings I went up \to 11 and I prefer the tone

·
Premium Member
13,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For me the issue is playability. I can always fiddle around with the tone.

·
Premium Member
4,474 Posts
i agree, but I guess my hands have gotten a bit stronger. I have one of those hand exercisers, Not this particular one, but one very similar. When I watch tv I use it quite a bit

·
Premium Member
13,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
At 67, I would likely use something like to maintain strength, rather than increase it.

·
Premium Member
4,474 Posts
they are adjustable. You can set them at whatever pressure you want.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I also ordered some 8's some time ago, I haven't tried them yet. I was thinking the same thing, for my standard tuned guitar I figured why work harder? My other guitars are tuned Eb and down, so I use 9 or 10's on those.

P

·
0 Posts
The lighter you go the harder it can be to get your guitar not to buzz and sometimes the lesser tension is a problem with the neck. If it works then great.

L

·
0 Posts
The lighter you go the harder it can be to get your guitar not to buzz and sometimes the lesser tension is a problem with the neck.
I get that with my SG (9's).
Only the D string though. Frets 4-8.
They were the only set I had lying around at the time.

P

·
0 Posts
I get that with my SG (9's).
Only the D string though. Frets 4-8.
They were the only set I had lying around at the time.
If you went lighter you might want to adjust the truss rod to give it more bow. 1/4 turn then wait a day or two.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts