The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
15,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something new from Orange Amplification.

PUSHING THE BOUNDARIES OF CONVENTIONAL GUITAR AMPLIFIER DESIGN

Using a revolutionary new technology, Orange’s engineers have created a world first. A 200 watt interactive amplifier designed specifically for guitar
and bass guitar! The secret? It’s all in the design...

The Thunderverb 200 incorporates Extended Tone Range technology, (ETR). Its combination of ground breaking tube engineering and unique output transformers, (patent pending), enable the amplifier’s bass bandwidth to operate as low as 30Hz without distortion. This means that not only can the Thunderverb 200 deliver the most gut wrenchingly thick guitar tone you could ever imagine, it also sounds absolutely amazing when used for bass guitar. Of course when it comes to drop tunings or 7 string guitars, other amplifiers will run home with their tails between their legs. The Orange Thunderverb 200 is the new standard for metal guitar amplifiers.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I caught the ad for that in my Guitar World magazine. From the description, that thing is a BEAST :eek: It would probably be loud enough to compete with any drummer, though it may be overkill when you're playing along with a second guitarist.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I read a review on TGP from a Rockerverb owner who demo'd the Thunderverb, and apparently it sounds EXACTLY the same as the Rockerverbs...

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Sounds like a lot of hype to me. At 200 watts its twice as loud as my 20 watt Koch Studiotone, and as for being suitable for bass and guitar, most of the old Oranges were. When I strted playing bass with my last band I bought an Avatar SB112 bass cab and took the chassis out of my Orange OR 80 and set it on top. This rig took five strings without a problem, with lots of tone and volume. I normally ran into the LOW input, volume set at 5 or 6 and the bass at 3/4 volume: when I had been borrowing the guitarist's 100 watt Ampeg combo, I ran it about 9 to get the same volume. I bought an SWR 350x to retire the Orange (I got nervous carrying the Orange from the car to the stage and back) and, rated at 200 watts into 8 Ohms, it needed the master at 8 with the gain set at 6, which was the most I could get before front end clipping. All that being said, if you need that kind of power this should be a great amp for either guitar or bass.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
I just watched the review on the Guitar World DVD and this is an amzing amp.

It is switchable between 200 and 100 Watts. You can also match up either set of tubes in 100 mode eg. you lose a tube switch to 100 and use the good set.
The Attenuator (sp) looks good, he turned it up to bedroom levels and off to a nice steady Roar!!

Pick up the mag if you want to review..It also has a ton of Dimebag lessons!!
Bev

·
Registered
260 Posts
washburned said:
Sounds like a lot of hype to me. At 200 watts its twice as loud as my 20 watt Koch Studiotone,
Take the volume on your stereo , and raise it to " twice as loud " . Notice anything ? Here's a hint : twice as loud as pretty loud= loud as **** . There is a very audible difference between 50 watts and 100 watts , and if your drummer is loud and you need a clean sound , you may need something bigger than a peavey rage .

Edit : Wow , that was a bit harsh , but , really , when an amp is already loud , just a bit more volume goes a long way . And I did already have problems hearing myself with a 2X12 . Shitty room acoustics+loud drummer=bad , and when you're in college you really can't afford the perfect rehearsal space .

·
Registered
793 Posts
More watts is basically more headroom that's how I view it, overall loudness isn't that important imo, usable volume is what really matters. Sure you can crank your amp til the cabinet rattles, it'll be loud alright, but it's gonna sound like crap. The Thunderverb is a beast!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts