The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a tracking compressor for guitar, bass, vocals, etc.

I have been using a Mooer Yellow Comp as an insert on my Pre73jr and it works really well. (Guitar pedals work really well as studio inserts fyi.)

The only problem is, I have no idea how much gain reduction I'm getting since there's no meter. I'm using a combo of critical listening and the digital waveform. I'd like a bit more control.

Interested in anything in the opto territory. I'm just looking for gentle leveling with a smooth tone. If money was no option, I'd just get an LA-2A or some kind of Vari-Mu. I'm not looking to spend more than $200 at the very most. I'm patient. I can wait for the right unit. Doesn't have to be rack unit. Open to pedals.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
I’d maybe try and find a used Union Lab, and compress to taste with your ears.

What you’re looking for within your budget might be difficult, unless you want an ART compressor, but then you’re probably better off just using plugins after tracking IMO.

The Lab is pretty cool though. (I believe L&M is a dealer, so might be possible to demo one).

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I’d maybe try and find a used Union Lab, and compress to taste with your ears.

What you’re looking for within your budget might be difficult, unless you want an ART compressor, but then you’re probably better off just using plugins after tracking IMO.

The Lab is pretty cool though. (I believe L&M is a dealer, so might be possible to demo one).

I appreciate your thoughts. The Union Lab is cool, but without a GR meter, it's not quite what I'm looking for. If one showed up for the right price, I'd definitely consider though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts