The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried a Lakland Skyline Duck Dunn Series? I'm gassing for a Pbass but like the J neck.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like I'll have to get on my bike and go check.:banana:
There's one listed at Club Bass in Toronto. If I get a chance to check it out I'll let you guys know. I've heard nothing but good things about Lakland.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I owned a Lakland Skyline DJ's. Very very well built basses and the J neck profile was amazing. At the end of the day though it just didn't have that mojo I was looking for. It's going to be one of those things where you're going to have to try it out and see if it grows on you... good luck...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Oh, one more thing, have you considered a P/J configuration with a jazz neck? You'll find people that say you can't get a real "P" sound out of a P/J but I disagree. Truly versatile basses... Here's my Devon P/J with Has-Sound pickups and harness...

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What a beautiful bass. I love that finish. I've thought about the PJ configureation, Fender has a couple of Aerodyne basses that look pretty nice but I haven't got my hands on one just yet.

·
Registered
97 Posts
definately worth a spin before pulling the trigger on something. the trick seems to be to find a bass that has the proper balance between p and j pickups. many of the one's i've tried don't give you a proper blend of pickups, seems like it's one or the other or half and half. make sure that you can roll the pickups on and off at variable blend rates. that gives you so many options. the fender aerodynes seem to be getting good reviews, but i have no idea how the pickups react on them... :rockon:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Would a P/J bass have a separate volume pot for each pickup like a JBass? I wonder if the balance problem could just be a matter of swapping pots.

·
Registered
97 Posts
the G&L SB2 has a volume/volume for each pickup with no tone control which works pretty well. actually that's a bass you should check out.... jazz neck and awesome basses. i've had a couple and they are a great 'bang for your buck.' imho, american made and usually the build quality is better than any fender you'll find.. :2guns::2guns::wave:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've heard great things about that bass as well. We do have a G & L dealer here in Oakville but the only US made bass they have is the 2500. I tried it out when I was 5 string shopping but prefered the neck on my MTD.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts