The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of buying a used Larrivee D-03, mahogany or rosewood. Anyone have one of these? Would you recommend these guitars for a good all around acoustic? The price is about $800.

·
Registered
11 Posts
coyoteblue

It just so happens I just picked up myself a used D03 Larivee ( 3 years old ).
Before I made this purchase I visited a shop that handles Martins / Gibsons /
Larivees / Epiphones / Guilds etc. and played them all. I wanted to make an educated purchase as I had heard from many others that the Larivees were very much a top quality guitar.
I found that the Larivee D03 was definitely comparable and even better than some of the much higher priced guitars ( including other Larivees ).
I played it at a gig for the first time and had extremely positive comments on the sound from other musicians present.

In short I would venture to say this is my new found baby.

It had elixir lights on it when I bought it which sounded good but I'm a Dean Markley user and went to a medium phos/bronze ( TMD ) and they are very nice.
In the future I'm going to try the D.Markley ML's and see how they are, I think they'll be the strings to use. This guitar lists for $1200 and I got mine in mint shape w/$300 case for $850 so one in good shape for 800 is a great deal I think.
P.S. Mine is the mahogany model and it sounded a little nicer than the rosewood in my opinion.
Good luck, Gplayer :food-smiley-004:

·
Registered
131 Posts
I've got a D-03 Claro Walnut acoustic - plays great, feels great. I can't imagine that you'd be disappointed with picking one of the babies up.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
great guitars

I've played a D04 (with rosewood option) for 3 years now (gloss version of the D09 with no abalone)

It has sounded great all along...they mature very nicely

I'm just about to make the jump to the next level...that means you have to go past the Martins and go all the way to the Bourgeios and Collings guitars

Although then you're getting into the $3500 + range

The price point and sound on these Larivee's can't be beat

·
Registered
2 Posts
Larrivee

I owned a D03 for a couple of years - mahogany - had a lot of punch but was really sensitive to humidity - I would make sure the used guitar has been properly maintained - they tend to dry out quicky. If you are strumming and picking the mahogany might be preferable but the price for the rosewood is good.

gordo

·
Registered
2 Posts
if you are climbing the acoustic ladder into the $3500 range - check out Santa Cruz guitars - they are definitely worth consideration.

gordo

1 - 11 of 11 Posts