The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got an Aerodyne and I 'LOVE' the tone by itself but I need an education on how to make it work in a band setting. I play it full on both the precision pickup and the jazz pickup. Incidentally I am thinking of replacing the jazz pickup with a stacked Seymour Duncan to get rid of the hum.

Any opinions on Aerodynes or modding one??

Peace
Jim In Toronto

·
Registered
84 Posts
Well, in a band setting, with standard tuned guitars, start with both pickups full on, and with eq flat. Then boost your low-mids and mids a little at a time until you get the mix that sounds the best (sort of a 'frown' eq instead of the scooped 'smiley' eq that sounds great by itself, but gets lost in a band setting).

If you're competing with down-tuned guitars, it gets more difficult, and typically requires more power to bring out the lows (the mids just get all mixed up with downtuned guitars).

I love the PJ config, but rarely use the 'J' pickup on it's own - always the P full on, and add the 'J' in to round out the sound depending on the song.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
If you're competing with down-tuned guitars, it gets more difficult, and typically requires more power to bring out the lows (the mids just get all mixed up with downtuned guitars).
Yeah, or with a keys player that love's the bottom octaves :mad:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yeah, or with a keys player that love's the bottom octaves :mad:
I had that happen at church of all places - rehearsal for Christmas concert - a couple people complained the bass was too loud so I stopped playing, put my hands in the air and then pointed to the keyboard player :D

·
Registered
163 Posts
That used to happen in this band I used to play in. One of the guitarists used to crank the bass and lo-mids on his amp until it interfered with my sonic range. So I ended up changing my frequencies until I could be heard usually by moving the lo-mids and boosting the hi-mids. Worked great.

I too would like to get an Areodyne, especially the Precision style one. They look like they would be nice to play but I haven't seen one here in the 'Peg yet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts