The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
L&M has this on sale right now for $74.99 each and i've got a 4x12 i'm looking to fill. If anyone has tried these what was your opinion/experience?

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
These are the ones that come in the Marshall 1960a cab. That is the cab I use most often at home. So I like them.
I would buy them, it's probably as cheap as you would find them used, so even if you didn't like them you could resell and not lose much if anything.

·
Premium Member
16,830 Posts
L&M has this on sale right now for $74.99 each and i've got a 4x12 i'm looking to fill. If anyone has tried these what was your opinion/experience?
They're in a lot of amps and they are a reliable speaker. Odds are if you've been to a show in your lifetime, you've heard this speaker mic'd up. Just make sure you can return it if you don't like it and away you go.

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
I bought 3 used ones for $175 2 years ago for no reason at all. So $75 new is pretty good. I wanted to build a 2x12. I put one into a Peavey Bandit and like it, playing a clean country or jazz like tone in my basement...
I don't know why people hate them so much but I've watched all the videos I can find on YouTube and I think they sound the worse with distorted metal, and best when clean. There is a top end peak to the one I used that brought out the amp hiss in my blue stripe bandit but not in the older 65 bandit.
Metal players seem to love them. Most misunderstood speaker ever??

·
Administrator
15,985 Posts
I bought 3 used ones for $175 2 years ago for no reason at all. So $75 new is pretty good. I wanted to build a 2x12. I put one into a Peavey Bandit and like it, playing a clean country or jazz like tone in my basement...
I don't know why people hate them so much but I've watched all the videos I can find on YouTube and I think they sound the worse with distorted metal, and best when clean. There is a top end peak to the one I used that brought out the amp hiss in my blue stripe bandit but not in the older 65 bandit.
Metal players seem to love them. Most misunderstood speaker ever??
I had my first, and only, experience with them in a 2x12 Marshall Cab using a JCM900 head. I found them to be very harsh. I've heard lots of good reviews but just can't bring myself to try them again. On the plus side that experience was the basis for my introduction to Scumback speakers. :)

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
They're fine. Not my favorite Celestion by a long shot but they're decent. Would take G12-65 or G12M-25 speakers over them in a flash. G12T-75 over a V30 any day of the week though.

·
Administrator
15,985 Posts
They're fine. Not my favorite Celestion by a long shot but they're decent. Would take G12-65 or G12M-25 speakers over them in a flash. G12T-75 over a V30 any day of the week though.
LOL, my thoughts are almost exactly the same. I did find one good use for a V30 though. The Supersonic 60 had one in it and I couldn't find a better match.

·
Registered
84 Posts
They sound fabulous with some amps and not so great with others. Some of the cabs have these where we rehearse. I am more of a V30 fan but when I have to use these, they don’t cause me any undo harm. LOL.

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
I had my first, and only, experience with them in a 2x12 Marshall Cab using a JCM900 head. I found them to be very harsh. I've heard lots of good reviews but just can't bring myself to try them again. On the plus side that experience was the basis for my introduction to Scumback speakers. :)
Was it a jcm900 with single coils?
I do think they bring out the extreme highs better then needed. :)
I keep wanting to try spraying some clear varnish on the cone, or install a soft paper dust cap to see how that changes their sound. One day.. .

·
Administrator
15,985 Posts
Was it a jcm900 with single coils?
I do think they bring out the extreme highs better then needed. :)
I keep wanting to try spraying some clear varnish on the cone, or install a soft paper dust cap to see how that changes their sound. One day.. .
It would have been a Schecter Tradition Strat and my '93 LP Std. They sounded harsh and buzzy with either and both were great sounding guitars with anything else :)

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
It would have been a Schecter Tradition Strat and my '93 LP Std. They sounded harsh and buzzy with either and both were great sounding guitars with anything else :)
No doubt those sounded good with other amp speaker combos. What is it with this speaker? Maybe its a speaker for super hot humbuckers with all mid, no highs. Why is it marshalls biggest selling speaker ever, yet so many people hate it?

·
Premium Member
16,830 Posts
No doubt those sounded good with other amp speaker combos. What is it with this speaker? Maybe its a speaker for super hot humbuckers with all mid, no highs. Why is it marshalls biggest selling speaker ever, yet so many people hate it?
Because a lot of people don't like marshall drive tones either.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
It's interesting to see that Marshall has selected the Celestion V Type as the speaker for the new mini 800 and mini Plexi.

Time will tell if it ultimately replaces the G12T75 in the 1960 cabs.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
It's interesting to see that Marshall has selected the Celestion V Type as the speaker for the new mini 800 and mini Plexi.

Time will tell if it ultimately replaces the G12T75 in the 1960 cabs.
I doubt it. They've already been selling the 1960s with it for what, almost 40 years?

Really they can't be that bad as they are in hands down one of the top two most popular 4x12s of all time.

Apparently the early ones sounded way better with more mids, while the latest have the least mids and a pretty harsh high end.

I dial my mids to like 3:30 and treb to 10:30 to compensate.

Sent from my H3223 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
I use a 1993 version (Ipswitch) G12T-75 in the BJ3. Took it out of an old ART amp I had. Sounds great and HUGE Mids. Age/use is a factor too I suppose. Heavier than hell too. Almost doubles the weight of the amp is my guess. I've noticed a difference on youtube between them and the new ones.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
good place an any for this question...
So I read in a review that if a Celestion speaker says "Ipswich England" then the speaker must be made in England.

In a reply to this statement, what appears to be a Celestion rep writes this comment"

"It's clear.....read the labels. If it's made in England it says MADE IN ENGLAND.
The labels on the speakers built at our factory in China say Ipswich England because that's where our HQ is. It's not science nor deceipt."
Celestion representative.

Obviously and as usual, I am totally confused.... Fake news on the web seems to be the norm these days.

Does anyone have an opinion about the manufacture origin as it pertains to Celestion speakers and their labeling?
G.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts