The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have right now a Peavey G-V 5 strings bass with graphite neck.

I've tried last week a Lakland 55-01 (Skyline ???) and I loved it, but I don't want to make a move I'll regret ...

The store manager offers me a good deal on exchange (700.00 back for the peavey). and the Lakland is 1000.00.

Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I honestly can't help you as I've no experience with either of those two basses, other than knowing they both have a great rep. I myself am always wanting something else, even when my own rigs are top-notch.

Good luck - keep us posted.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The Skylines are great basses for the price, especially if you're after something along the lines of a traditional Fender Jazz tone.

Having said that much, I snagged a Peavey Cirrus 5 as a backup recently and I am really surprised by it.

Tough choice, especially if you really like your Peavey. I guess I'm not much help at all. :) Good luck.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:DevilGuitar: I guess I'll have to convince the wife that I need another bass...:DevilGuitar:

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Renniw said:
:DevilGuitar: I guess I'll have to convince the wife that I need another bass...:DevilGuitar:
Now you're talkin!

I'm playing this game with my wife right now. "I realize my new bass showed up last week, but now that I have a 5-string, I really should have a 4 string for something different".

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
She just got herself a brand new Jetta TDI 2006, I guess I can play on that to get my Lakland...:D

·
Registered
97 Posts
Well, I'd definately go with the Skyline. Great basses that hold their value in comparison to the Yamahas (imho). You can't go wrong with a Skyline. I've played the USA Laklands side by side with the Skylines and I was hard pressed to feel and hear much difference.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
bassman blue said:
Well, I'd definately go with the Skyline. Great basses that hold their value in comparison to the Yamahas (imho). You can't go wrong with a Skyline. I've played the USA Laklands side by side with the Skylines and I was hard pressed to feel and hear much difference.
and by yamaha, do you mean peavey?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ask for a couple of days to play the instrument at home. Preferably spend a day with the thing and then do a band practice (if you have a band). If you don't have a band then take a few days playing it at home with a broad spectrum of music you like to play.

Start with stuff you're very familiar with and tailor the sound of the instrument and get used to how it plays. Then gradually move to less familiar and more challenging music, see how the bass will allow (help or hinder) you to grow.

This will take a couple of days at least. I'll never again buy an instrument based on playing it for an hour at the music shop.. but that's me. This way you avoid (not eliminate) the risk of making an expensive mistake.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts