The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to hear some opinions on if you think that Fender MIM stock guitars will appreciate in price in the next 10-15 years.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
10,229 Posts
No chance, other than a few bucks for general inflation. Better chance used ones decline in value, as the whole flooded used gear market continues to experience difficulty.

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
Fender MIM and Epiphone lines of guitars are in my opinion by far the best "bang for your buck" on the market today.
At some point, a lot of folks will realize that these guitars where way undervalued when originally sold.

Current used prices for a Epiphone Sheraton ll ( ES 335 style) is 500-600 bucks.
A MIM Telecaster or Stratocaster is in the 400-500 dollars range.
The USA equivalent is 2,000 - 3,000 dollars.....

You have a great opportunity to decide for your self as most stores carry both right now.
Please don't take my word for it and see for yourself.
G.

·
Premium Member
3,276 Posts
Fender MIM and Epiphone lines of guitars are in my opinion by far the best "bang for your buck" on the market today.
At some point, a lot of folks will realize that these guitars where way undervalued when originally sold.

Current used prices for a Epiphone Sheraton ll ( ES 335 style) is 500-600 bucks.
A MIM Telecaster or Stratocaster is in the 400-500 dollars range.
The USA equivalent is 2,000 - 3,000 dollars.....

You have a great opportunity to decide for your self as most stores carry both right now.
Please don't take my word for it and see for yourself.
G.
I'm not seeing $2-3K for a used USA Standard Strat or Tele. For the Gibson ES guitars, maybe, but not Fenders.

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
I think it all depends on where you start from. If you're buying brand new/retail I wouldn't expect any appreciation. If you find a clean MIM fender used for a really good price I think you'd be able to make some money on it in the future. Maybe not all that much (depending on the price) but it very likely won't go down in value.

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
I think the market for gear in general is going to go down - maybe not this week or this year, but in the long run.

https://guitarscanada.com/index.php...uture-of-the-vintage-market-will-hold.150497/

That said, I wouldn't be looking at lower level stuff to be increasing in value. If the high-end stuff goes down, so does everything else relative to that. Just like the housing market and probably pretty much everything else.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Some MIM are amazing instrument and a great bang for the buck...

Better have an instrument for you to play on at the current moment then saving up for your dream guitar and not having an instrument at all.

MIM are a small investment and you can always get your MIA after ( if that is what you really want) when funds are available and you pinpoint your dream guitar ( if that falls under 10 guitars !!!:D )

Just my opinion...

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
I think the market for gear in general is going to go down - maybe not this week or this year, but in the long run.

https://guitarscanada.com/index.php...uture-of-the-vintage-market-will-hold.150497/

That said, I wouldn't be looking at lower level stuff to be increasing in value. If the high-end stuff goes down, so does everything else relative to that. Just like the housing market and probably pretty much everything else.
I've been able to make money on guitars by finding ridiculously good deals. I've bought MIM fender's for $150 to $200 and was able to immediately more than double my money but sadly these deals don't pop up too often.

Maybe more related to OP's questions, most people I know don't seem to care what year a MIM Fender is and I don't see much of a price variance from older ones to newer ones. Anywhere from $400 - $600 depending on condition.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
MIM Fenders are great guitars for the money but they're "player" guitars not "investment" guitars and I think that will always hold true. Buy a used one and it will probably hold it's value on the used market but I wouldn't expect it to appreciate much.

·
Premium Member
6,216 Posts
Not going to go up in value, ever. They do hold a decent used price though. A good shape MIM Std is worth 400 bucks all day long, regardress of its year.

Standard Model Fenders seem to immediate depreciate to their used market value, and then stay there until they are damaged or molested.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Not a chance if you buy a new one . Retail for $800 right now. That won't be coming back when you sell it. If you bought a 10 year old one used years ago for market value of 3 to 4 hundred dollars you should be able to break even or make a small gain if you did not bang it up.

·
Registered
18,597 Posts
From the posts I've seen on them, they seem to be getting better appreciation from buyers but as for the price escalating where a person would make some money on them, it would be an uncertain gamble in which you would likely lose.

Reactions: cheezyridr

·
Banned
11,532 Posts
I would like to hear some opinions on if you think that Fender MIM stock guitars will appreciate in price in the next 10-15 years.

Thanks

There are a lot of MIM models. Which ones are you referring to? The MIM Standards are not as good as the Classic series or other high end MIMs.

·
Premium Member
6,216 Posts
There are a lot of MIM models. Which ones are you referring to? The MIM Standards are not as good as the Classic series or other high end MIMs.
My analysis excludes any of the high end MIM guitars like the Muddy Waters Tele, Jimmy Vaughan and Robert Cray Strats. The Baja Teles also hold their value like crazy. Their necks go for 350-450 alone.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
MIMs first popped up in the mid 80s and to be perfectly honest they weren't much to write home about.
They started gaining respect in the 90s due mostly to Fender Mexico upping their game significantly.
So for all intents and purposes, in the 90s was when MIM became viable for real players and not just beginners.
I'm not even sure if MIA Fenders from the 90s are ever going to start appreciating in price, let alone MIMs
So ..... no.
Not an ice-cube's chance in hell.

·
Premium Member
4,989 Posts
Since i cant afford and wont pay high prices for USA models anymore i think the MIM are good bang for the buck. Time will tell but some of the signature series are going for some good money so yes, i think they will increase slowly.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.