The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm fairly young mid twenties and have a broad range of musical interests but who'd guess opera music would ketch my attention. I'm a huge dean Martin fan my favourite song from him is " come back to sorrento" . I was listening to it then on YouTube I noticed another version of it in Italian sang by Luciano Pavarotti and was blown away by it. So I started listening to some of his stuff and can't get enough of it . The orchestra in the background and the powerful voice he drives with such passion. I have no clue what he is saying but I really don't care it's just beautiful stuff. I all ready knew I liked "phantom of the opera " what a masterpiece that song is . I am really looking forward to finding more of these amazing singers that most of the people my age just pass and miss out on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,967 Posts
Make sure you check out Therion. They are sort of opera style mixed with metal. Sorta..........

·
Registered
24,136 Posts
I used to be an inveterate listener of "Gilmour's Albums", Sunday at noon on CBC radio (before the days of The Vinyl Café"). Clyde Gilmour tended to select arias and performers intended to appeal to a broad range of listeners, and I found many appealed to me. When I learned that Jeff Beck was doing an instrumental version of Nessun Dorma some time back, I was thrilled. One of the greatest melodies ever, and he did it justice, as did Aretha Franklin when she took over from Luciano Pavarotti in an emergency at the Grammys.
I mean, how can that NOT give you goosebumps? Then there's Malcolm McClaren's rendition of Madame Butterfly.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
The animation captures the genre perfectly.

[video]

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Now this is opera I can listen to.

[video]

·
Registered
14,366 Posts
What's Opera Doc & The Rabbit of Seville were the biggest influences on me for liking classical music.
And my two all time favorite cartoons.

·
Registered
24,136 Posts
The music leaves an impression.

Back around 1991 or so, I bought a cassette of one of Hal Wilner's things, entitled "The Carl Stalling Project" ( The Carl Stalling Project, Carl Stalling, The Warner Bros. Studio Orchestra - The Carl Stalling Project: Music From Warner Bros. Cartoons, 1936-1958 - Amazon.com Music ). It's a compilation of studio sessions of Looney Tunes soundtracks, with occasional talkback between the room and the control booth. Our older son, who was 5-ish at the time, happened to be walking through the living room one day, as I was listening to it, and suddenly looked up and said "I know that cartoon! That the one where Daffy Duck goes..."

The connection between the music and the image is welded together. A few years back I was reading a book about the development of music in conjunction with animation, including not only the Warner Bros. cartoons, but also Tom & Jerry, Woody Woodpecker, and more. The extent to which the animators took steps to sync the screen images with the music. was remarkable, often involving things like scaling and constructing the scene so that a character had enough room to take exactly as many steps as there were beats in the critical bar of music. So, if the music was 8/8 time, they were taking 8 steps, and the scene drawn so that the character could take 8 "normal" steps without going off screen.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts