The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
7,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently I'm running a Fillmore 50 1X12 combo that is an open back. I also have a mesa fillmore 1X12 extension cabinet that is also open back. I'm thinking of getting a mesa closed back 1X12 . Has anyone done something similar and what did you find. Would this help tighten up the bass, give a little more quick thump?

·
Premium Member
3,845 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Agreed the wall trick won't work to emulate a closed back cabinet.

I played through an open back Marshall combo for years and thought it was fine, but I didn't know how much it compromised my sound when I piped my amp's output to pretty much the same speaker (4ohm Celestion) in a 1x12" closed cabinet. Sounded the same, but just more resonant bottom end, more kick in the low tones - never looked back.

·
Registered
7,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Agreed the wall trick won't work to emulate a closed back cabinet.

I played through an open back Marshall combo for years and thought it was fine, but I didn't know how much it compromised my sound when I piped my amp's output to pretty much the same speaker (4ohm Celestion) in a 1x12" closed cabinet. Sounded the same, but just more resonant bottom end, more kick in the low tones - never looked back.
This is what I was hoping.

·
Registered
7,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
My plan would be to buy the Mesa closed back wide body. It comes with a C90 but I'd swap it with the V30 thats in my open back 1X12 cabinet and then sell the open back with the C90 if the closed back worked to my satisfaction.
My only concern is, since both my combo and extension cabinet are technically semi open backs, would changing out the extension cabinet to a sealed cabinet make much difference. I was hoping it would tighten up the bass and make it more thumpy. Sort of control it a bit better. Right now the bass is a little bit loose and it muddies up my les paul (mainly on the neck pickup). I notice when I plug the les paul in to my 67 Fender pro reverb that the tone becomes far more balanced. Much more clarity. The down side with the pro reverb is the mid gain does not sound as good. Clean tones are superior to the mesa.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I do that, I've got the Mesa Rectoverb 25 combo (Fillmore speaker) with the Mini Rec 1x12 extension cab (closed back, Mesa V30).

The combo sits on top of the cab. My experience is that the additional cab makes the amp REALLY fill the room. Definitely more low-mids, and tighter bottom end.

I like combining a G12H30 open back with the closed back V30 as well.

The thing to make sure is that you've got a room large enough that you can take a few steps back, especially if the closed-back cab is sitting on the floor. Closed-back cabs are much more directional, so if it's aiming at your feet, you won't really appreciate the difference.

·
Registered
7,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I do that, I've got the Mesa Rectoverb 25 combo (Fillmore speaker) with the Mini Rec 1x12 extension cab (closed back, Mesa V30).

The combo sits on top of the cab. My experience is that the additional cab makes the amp REALLY fill the room. Definitely more low-mids, and tighter bottom end.

I like combining a G12H30 open back with the closed back V30 as well.

The thing to make sure is that you've got a room large enough that you can take a few steps back, especially if the closed-back cab is sitting on the floor. Closed-back cabs are much more directional, so if it's aiming at your feet, you won't really appreciate the difference.
I really regret not buying the Fillmore 50 head. I'd have kept the 1X12 cabinet and would have bought the Mesa 2x12 closed back slanted vertical cab. That way I'd have the 2x12 for my bigger outdoor gigs and the 1x12 open back for church. Too expensive to go back now.

·
Premium Member
1,649 Posts
I have a C90 loaded Mesa widebody closedback cab. Yes you notice a difference. There is focus and thump to it. At times it can seem 3D. That is with fresh ears. If you have been playing loud for any length of time, you may no longer notice.

I am using my closedback with the Mesa combo on top.

I did do extensive comparison with my smaller and significantly lighter Mesa combo, with the closedback singly, as add on extension, vs. combo alone. I also pulled the V30 from the combo and put my favourite Jensen Neo in it. I could be satisfied just using the combo alone with the Jensen Neo swap.

I still had my Mesa F100, 212 combo with two well broken in V30’s that were simply awesome with that large, exhaustingly, back breaking, fear for your life on staircases, ball busting amp, and my delightfully light Mesa Mini Rec lunch box.

I played different guitars, pedals, through every possible combination for weeks. I decided the smaller Mesa combo with the widebody closedback could do everything that I could possibly ever need. I absolutely loved the clean platform of the F100, but moved it on to a younger player to cripple. The Mini Rec was loved, but those chrome knobs and my poor vision didn’t get along, and it got snapped up in a couple of hours on Kijiji.

I have used the closedback widebody on top of my Dr. Z Max 18 combo, and really notice that 3D effect when the cab is elevated to that height. The Z combo can make items fly off of furniture on its own, and that scenario is reinforced with the Mesa cab when pushing that amp hard.

·
Premium Member
28,703 Posts
I have long wondered why no one made a combo with a bottom-mounted, separately powered subwoofer for that extra thump that a 1x12 or 2x10 open back could never give. Imagine a 6" subwoofer, facing the bottom of the cab (with stubby legs on the bottom of the cab to lift it up an inch or so), powered by 50W of class D, and handling everything below 150hz. Because of how low frequencies disperse, the downward mounting would not be an issue. The small size of a 6" high-compliance subwoofer, and the light weight and high efficiency of a class D amp section, should yield a nice big bottom without requiring a large heavy cabinet. Presumably the main amp would be as per usual, whether tube or solid-state, and the frequency divider would be close to the input jack.

·
Premium Member
3,845 Posts
My plan would be to buy the Mesa closed back wide body. It comes with a C90 but I'd swap it with the V30 thats in my open back 1X12 cabinet and then sell the open back with the C90 if the closed back worked to my satisfaction.
My only concern is, since both my combo and extension cabinet are technically semi open backs, would changing out the extension cabinet to a sealed cabinet make much difference. I was hoping it would tighten up the bass and make it more thumpy. Sort of control it a bit better. Right now the bass is a little bit loose and it muddies up my les paul (mainly on the neck pickup). I notice when I plug the les paul in to my 67 Fender pro reverb that the tone becomes far more balanced. Much more clarity. The down side with the pro reverb is the mid gain does not sound as good. Clean tones are superior to the mesa.
I suggested renting the Traynor simply because you can try out an open back and a closed back using the same cabinet, speaker, and location, which should answer the question you asked originally and demonstrate the effect of opening it up. $17 for a week is pretty cheap insurance.

Output device Font Television Rectangle Gadget

·
Registered
7,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I suggested renting the Traynor simply because you can try out an open back and a closed back using the same cabinet, speaker, and location, which should answer the question you asked originally and demonstrate the effect of opening it up. $17 for a week is pretty cheap insurance.

View attachment 430656
Yes definitely a good idea.

·
Monster Replier
'97 Strat Plus, 70's Northern Strat Copy
3,363 Posts
class D amp
You just answered your own question my man. :)

I am with you though, that would make for a killer sound. It would take some decent engineering to get the sounds all fed correctly, but I like where your head is at.

·
Registered
7,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have long wondered why no one made a combo with a bottom-mounted, separately powered subwoofer for that extra thump that a 1x12 or 2x10 open back could never give. Imagine a 6" subwoofer, facing the bottom of the cab (with stubby legs on the bottom of the cab to lift it up an inch or so), powered by 50W of class D, and handling everything below 150hz. Because of how low frequencies disperse, the downward mounting would not be an issue. The small size of a 6" high-compliance subwoofer, and the light weight and high efficiency of a class D amp section, should yield a nice big bottom without requiring a large heavy cabinet. Presumably the main amp would be as per usual, whether tube or solid-state, and the frequency divider would be close to the input jack.
That idea might make me like 1x10\2x10 speakers

1 - 20 of 44 Posts