The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

Is it worth your trouble to use open or altered tunings Live?

  • Yes, it simply sounds better when the song calls for it.

    Votes: 9 52.9%
  • No, I'd rather modify the part for standard tuning (it's close enough).

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • It depends on the song.

    Votes: 6 35.3%

  • Total voters
    17
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you use them?


Is it worth the trouble to you?


Personally I keep at least one and sometimes two guitars on stage specifically for the purpose of open and altered tunings. I tune them between sets to whatever tuning the song needs. generallt tere's only one or two such songs in any given set.

To me, it's worth it. Yes you can play the songs in conventional tuning but it really sounds much better with the proper tuning.

Take a song like CCR's Fortunate Son. The song is played in G, but the guitar is actually tuned down a whole step which allows you to play the intro riff with open notes. To my ears it's a huge difference and worth the trouble.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
107 Posts
I think that if the song was wrote in an open tuning it just doesn't have the same sound transposed to standard tuning. I always have a tele tuned to open G and a strat tuned to open E plus a 66 Mustang tuned to open C.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,720 Posts
Yes, I believe it is worth the trouble. Years ago, I used to play a lot of Rolling Stones tunes that called for G tuning. It just sounds a lot better. I hate to say this, but every time a hear a band playing a Stones tune in standard tuning when Keef was playing in G tuning, I cringe. On the other hand, I play all my electric slide in standard.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
mario said:
Yes, I believe it is worth the trouble. Years ago, I used to play a lot of Rolling Stones tunes that called for G tuning. It just sounds a lot better. I hate to say this, but every time a hear a band playing a Stones tune in standard tuning when Keef was playing in G tuning, I cringe. On the other hand, I play all my electric slide in standard.

I agree.

Open tunings really have a distinctive ring to them. The Rolling St0nes is a good example.

Even drop D really has a chime to it that makes playing the same song in standard tuning sound pale by comparison.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,126 Posts
I don't use a lot of differents tuning just the normal E, the drop D and half step dwon too. I'm not familiar with the open ones. Do you have a table of all that tunings ? Can be usefull, I love to experiment ! :D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ti-Ron said:
I don't use a lot of differents tuning just the normal E, the drop D and half step dwon too. I'm not familiar with the open ones. Do you have a table of all that tunings ? Can be usefull, I love to experiment ! :D

I know there are tables somewhere. Perhaps somebody will post a link.

I use the following:

Drop D = D, A, D, G, B, E

Open D = D, A, D, G, B, D

Open G = G, G, D, G, B, D

Detune D = D, G, C, F, A, D

The open tunings I use mostly for slide.

The Detuned D tuning I'm using for a CCR tune.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,926 Posts
Yes, it's also one of the best excuses to own and carry multiple axes to every gig, and have a good tuner in the signal path! Mooh.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mooh said:
Yes, it's also one of the best excuses to own and carry multiple axes to every gig, and have a good tuner in the signal path! Mooh.

LOL, well it does help with my explanations to the Missus.


And yes, a pedal tuner should be standard equipment in any pedalboard.

I have a Planet Waves which I like a lot.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ti-Ron said:
Thanks Milkman, I will try those news tuning right now! :D

No problem.

Pleasee use caution with my version of open G. Most people tune their 6th (E) down to D. I tune mine UP to G because I like the tonic on the bottom.

It's no problem but you have to bring it up gently and I wouldn't recommend leaving it in this tuning for extended periods.


This is a video clip of the tuning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tsnyLYAb4c
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,833 Posts
I use only one guitar and we play a bunch of tunes with different tunings. For open G songs (Stones, and some Black Crowes), I drop the A string down to G. That allows me to play the rhythm part (while muting the high E), and it makes it easy to play a solo, as the top 4 strings are still in standard tuning. We also play some tunes in D, where I just drop the low E string to D. I've never had a problem switching back and forward, although if you play a Strat with a floating tremelo, you might have some more tuning problems.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,020 Posts
I'm still trying to make what I can of standard tuning, let alone alternative ones.

Some year, when I have a little more competence.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Robert1950 said:
I'm still trying to make what I can of standard tuning, let alone alternative ones.

Some year, when I have a little more competence.



Aren't we all.

Still open tunings can be fun and actually make some things easier to play.

Depending on the tuning, playing what you know will be next to impossible, but you discover new ideas out of necessity.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top