1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Tree Trunk Tree stump Wood Plant
Tree Trunk Tree stump Woody plant Plant
Tree Logging Trunk Tree stump Wood
The Ontario Hydro Forestry guys came out and took down a massive pine that was threatening to go down on my and their line. Originally over 100 ft tall and a good 3 ft across, this puppy is huge. They took it down in a controlled drop and cut it in three large pieces and a neighbour has a portable mill and he will cut down the logs.

Private quotes were $2400 to have it down and removed. Glad I checked with Hydro after all!

Too bad this isn’t a Brazilian Rosewood log. I’d be some rich!

·
Premium Member
4,951 Posts
View attachment 219432 View attachment 219428 View attachment 219430 The Ontario Hydro Forestry guys came out and took down a massive pine that was threatening to go down on my and their line. Originally over 100 ft tall and a good 3 ft across, this puppy is huge. They took it down in a controlled drop and cut it in three large pieces and a neighbour has a portable mill and he will cut down the logs.

Private quotes were $2400 to have it down and removed. Glad I checked with a Hydro after all!

That’s awesome. What will you do with the wood? Cut it into planks?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for this thread and pics.

Will the neighbour mill the logs into flitches, etc? ...or just cut the logs.

EDIT: @1SweetRide and I were typing at the same time. Great minds think alike!
Flitches, no doubt. Quarter sawn if it were for a guitar top but that’s not happening as this would make for a very odd sounding guitar.

·
Registered
18,584 Posts
There is a big difference in costs between where you and I live. My neighbour had three pines at least that large than that one removed and cut up into 16" pieces for $1800.00.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is a big difference in costs between where you and I live. My neighbour had three pines at least that large than that one removed and cut up into 16" pieces for $1800.00.

That is a good price for such a big job. Here, $2400 was for a clean take down and complete removal.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Did they use one of those articulated buckets to limb it first? Few yrs ago watched a guy trimming trees along powerline in alley. Guy was like a jedi with that thing up over under and around the powerline.
Always a pleasure to watch someone good at their trade.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Things like this are definitely cheaper down east. Here, $2400 was to do a clean removal of that one tree (meaning, they take it down and remove everything as if nothing was ever there).

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did they use one of those articulated buckets to limb it first? Few yrs ago watched a guy trimming trees along powerline in alley. Guy was like a jedi with that thing up over under and around the powerline.
Always a pleasure to watch someone good at their trade.
I wasn’t here when they took it down, unfortunately, but they clearly did not limb it first and did a controlled drop, somehow, as the rotten top would have exploded and spread everywhere upon impact otherwise. It did not. I was surprised by that approach and whoever dropped it had a very good eye. He missed a few trees and dropped it in the perfect spot.

He/they then just cut the middle section at my driveway’s edges and moved the centre log over. Very efficient. I knew, though, that they take nothing away after a cut so I am left with some serious cleaning to do but that’s ok.

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
And Brazilian. And quite possibly not on this forum.

My g/f has a huge cottonwood on the back of her property. Sadly, the power lines are at the front of her property, so the only one funding that removal is her. We trim it yearly but it's still a big nuisance. And it'd be expensive to drop.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts