The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
it is too bad they did not spend a bit more time on the audio editing .... different woods and builders .... attention to what headphones speakers the listeners were using .... and then listeners point out that they could identify some transitions between instruments by editing glitches....

·
Premium Member
8,482 Posts
No hearing tests were performed to determine if the participants were physically able to differentiate between instruments?

I guess the ability to hear properly doesn't really matter in a test like this...

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No hearing tests were performed to determine if the participants were physically able to differentiate between instruments?

I guess the ability to hear properly doesn't really matter in a test like this...
Eh?...............

Reactions: Adcandour

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Pretty telling that tone woods don’t matter in acoustic guitars. Hopefully this finally kills the electric tone wood debate.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pretty telling that tone woods don’t matter in acoustic guitars. Hopefully this finally kills the electric tone wood debate.
I doubt it. Some guys will still swear it makes a big difference in the tone.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I think that test was pretty much an exercise in futility,although it started out with good intentions.
The fact that the listening experience wasn't controlled is the big flaw,it was up to the people who took the test to determine the quality of their headphones for example.
And there listening abilities for that matter.
Who's to say what are high quality headphones for example.?
The fact that all of the guitars had exactly the same top and bracing suggests to me right off the bat that they will sound similar.
Would the top construction not be the single most contributing factor to the sound (along with body style) ?
It makes sense to me that rest of the construction would hold a definite backseat in the tonal production.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
That just isn't and never will be the same as an experienced guitar player sitting down in an Acoustically controlled environment, even a Music Shop room, and hearing the subtle overtones and harmonics resonating from with the guitar, not to mention the feel of it against your body. It would be like taking a blind taste test with a frozen mouth, a blind fold, and nose plugs. All while you had a cold. Try it sometime and see how you make out. Let's say AAA Alberta Beef with whatever raunchy crap is served elsewhere.

:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts