The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One year ago today, my favorite songwriter passed away due to COVID-19. John Prine had survived a couple bouts with cancer, and as tough as he was, I guess that took enough out of him that C19 could take its toll. I literally grew up to his music. I can still clearly recall scenes from childhood where I had listed to a particular song. His was among the first music I learned to play on guitar and sing. To this day, despite how utterly miserable some days can get, I could find either happiness at some of his quirkeir stuff like "Bottomless Lake" or solace that things could be worse in a song like "Sam Stone". I remember going home form university and watching the Austin City Limits specials with my old man...particularly the one where he introduced Steve Goodman's "My Old Man". He was a masterful writer and story-teller, and a wonderful human being.

"Hello in There" was always my favorite of his songs - probably my favorite song of all time.

·
Premium Member
9,540 Posts
I only became aware of Sam Stone a couple years ago, and got obsessed with it, did a pretty deep Prine dive for a bit. Great, obviously.

Your cover there sounds excellent.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts