The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this over in the Tokai forum and I thought I'd post it here as well to give people a "heads up" on this brand.

I came across these guitars when I was at a guitar shop here in Toronto called Ring Music. These guitars are made in Vietnam and the hardware and pickups are designed by Trevor Wilkinson. Not only do they have a regular lineup of Strat and Les Paul types but they also have "Relic" type guitars of those models which is what they had at Ring Music. Here's a link to their website: http://www.ringmusic.com/productlist.php?category_id=4 and at the bottom of the page you'll see the various models. Click on the name and you'll see what they look like. The Vintage V100 Icon was the one I was trying out.

The prices for these guitars are ridiculously low for the quality you're getting. The V100 definitely had that LP sound and it was certainly the weight of an LP! If I wasn't in the market for a Love Rock right now (which I'll be getting soon) I would have picked this one up. These would make great backup guitars. Also be sure to check out the British homepage for these guitars at http://www.jhs.co.uk/vintageelectric.html Scroll down to the "V100 Icon Series" and be sure to check out the V100 "Lemon Drop" guitar which is based on Peter Greens Les Paul. I e-mailed the Canadian distributor inquiring about that model and I hope they get it over here. (Update: The Canadian distributor e-mailed me and told me that Ring Music would have the "Lemon Drop" guitars in 4 weeks time.) Of course the headstocks aren't exact copies like the older Tokais but these guitars definitely have a cool vibe to them. If you find one in your area try one out and I think you'll find it hard to resist buying one.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Whoa... they certainly have quite a selection... Some look pretty dam nice .
The price is low... certainly give Epi's a run in the lower end.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I saw those at retrotown in Ottawa and the lemon drop is awesome...better than most Gibby's I've played lately!

·
Premium Member
2,967 Posts
Vintage have long been good sellers in Europe where guitars are more expensive. I guess we are always last to get things in Canada...........

·
Registered
319 Posts
Vintage

They certainly look good
I'd like to buy the relic strat and throw a dense Warmoth neck on it

·
Premium Member
5,121 Posts
I have seen these before on other forums, but they were only available overseas. They make some cool looking guitars. I was really interested in their Les Paul Special and Jr. models, but couldn't find anyone that carried them in North America.

I think for awhile they were making EXACT copies visually of Fender and Gibsons, which means they wouldn't have been able to distribute them here. It looks like they have changed a few design elements now.

·
Premium Member
5,121 Posts
I really like that wine red LP copy. I love wine red.

The V99 series has a Poplar body and maple neck (rosewood board). That must sound different. I have never seen an LP style guitar with those specs.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the responses guys. Yeah BHarris, I should have mentioned the basses and they have a "relic"-ed selection of those as well. So Ottawa has the "Lemon Drop" guitar? I'm jealous. I've got to wait another 4 weeks. :frown: I'm definitely considering picking one up when they do get here. I didn't try any of the Strat models as I'm really in the market for a Les Paul type guitar now but I'm sure their tones probably sound quite authentic. I've already got two Tokai Strats and a genuine Fender Strat. Torndownunit, yeah that would be an interesing combination for an LP type guitar and I'm wondering how it would sound. Once again, these guitars really do represent outstanding value for the money and I can't wait to try out that "Lemon Drop" model.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rumble_b said:
Cool stuff. I read about them in a British mag a awhile ago but didn't think they were in Canada.
Yeah I didn't even know they were here until I checked out the Ring Music website. On the JHS website they have PDFs of some of the reviews from a couple of the British guitar magazines and they rate them very highly.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They're finally here.

I know this is an old topic but I was just checking out the Ring Music website and they finally have some Lemon Drop guitars in stock. That was an awfully long 4 weeks huh? :wink: To be fair though, I was there about 2 months ago and they did order some but they were rejected because they didn't feel the quality was high enough. I'll be heading over there soon to check them out and, who knows, I just may end up with yet *another* new guitar! :smile:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Somehow I don't think we'll see these guitars here in the States any time soon. I'm sure they're really sweet guitars for the price, but in my opinion (even thought I'm not a lawyer) they've got "lawsuit" written all over them, especially the LP copies. But I may be wrong, someone's probably working out a distribution deal even as I'm writing this!

·
Premium Member
1,378 Posts
Fantastic! I've been really curious to check out their 335 style guitar made of carved solid woods instead of the usual ply. Ring is a short walk from my apartment. I can't wait to see if the British mags are giving them great reviews on their own merits or because Vintage is one of their biggest advertisers. I'll find out the truth soon enough.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Actually what they were doing at first was duplicating Fender and Gibson guitars but they got wind of this and told them to stop, so now they do get close but not close enough to be sued. If you look at the body shapes and the headstock you'll see what I mean.

Somehow I don't think we'll see these guitars here in the States any time soon. I'm sure they're really sweet guitars for the price, but in my opinion (even thought I'm not a lawyer) they've got "lawsuit" written all over them, especially the LP copies. But I may be wrong, someone's probably working out a distribution deal even as I'm writing this!

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah Ring Music has a lot of them. They've even got the LP Junior type over there. They are worth checking out.

...the vr100 series (lp double cut) definitely interests me!

-dh

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lucky you! :smile: These really are surprisingly good guitars. I tried out the LP type and it really was a good playing and sounding guitar. No fretting out, no dead spots, no intonation problems. Ring Music also has some nice Vintage brand basses there as well based on the Fender designs.

Fantastic! I've been really curious to check out their 335 style guitar made of carved solid woods instead of the usual ply. Ring is a short walk from my apartment. I can't wait to see if the British mags are giving them great reviews on their own merits or because Vintage is one of their biggest advertisers. I'll find out the truth soon enough.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Actually what they were doing at first was duplicating Fender and Gibson guitars but they got wind of this and told them to stop, so now they do get close but not close enough to be sued. If you look at the body shapes and the headstock you'll see what I mean.
Yeah, I see what you mean. They're pretty close but not exact. But knowing American lawyers one of them is going to look at them and think, "Hmmmm...."!

1 - 20 of 115 Posts