The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Seems to make some sense. Reading between the lines, the message is "expect a slight lowering of prices, but keep your pants on."

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
All the more reason to take our business to the USA.
Road trip! :banana:

Side note, I got this e-mail today: "AXE Music Incorporated is using savings achieved with the rising buying power of the Canadian dollar, to cut prices on most all items at both of its brick-and-mortar superstores in Calgary and Edmonton, and at www.axemusic.com, the Canadian leader for online music making!".

Then they add this link: http://www.axemusic.com/axe_slashes_prices.asp

·
Registered
183 Posts
All the more reason to take our business to the USA.
remember that the Canadian dollar has not appreciated against other foreign economies that it is the greenback that has devalued. American importers will/are being faced with paying higher prices from overseas.... meaning that it will soon be costing more to import into the US.

·
Registered
944 Posts
We gotta get a VW "Hippie Bus" for such an adventure. We'll spray bomb geetah's and amps (or reasonable facsimile's of) and the Guitar's Canada logo on it, pile as many of us we can fit in it (remove the seats, they waste valuable space) and HEAD'ER ON DOWN SOUTH!!!! :rockon2:

·
Registered
793 Posts

Side note, I got this e-mail today: "AXE Music Incorporated is using savings achieved with the rising buying power of the Canadian dollar, to cut prices on most all items at both of its brick-and-mortar superstores in Calgary and Edmonton, and at www.axemusic.com, the Canadian leader for online music making!".

Then they add this link: http://www.axemusic.com/axe_slashes_prices.asp
Yeah I received an e-mail from axe too. I gotta say, AxeMusic is probably the best major online Canadian guitar retailer, they actually seem to listen to their customers:smile:

·
Registered
737 Posts
Yeah I received an e-mail from axe too. I gotta say, AxeMusic is probably the best major online Canadian guitar retailer, they actually seem to listen to their customers:smile:
Me too. I like AXE, I've had good dealings with them, I noticed that a left-handed ESP B255 in delicious black cherry is like $489, pretty sure it was near $700 earlier this year.

I like Geek's idea! Better make it a school bus though. Merry Pranksters! :wave:

·
Registered
737 Posts

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
One store lowering prices

Well I'm going on the weekend to check my fav store out to see if I see a difference cause on their site it says....

"We've adjusted our prices to reflect our Canadian dollar."

http://www.theartsmusicstore.com/

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
uh, on the Kaos site, since when do we pay 7% duty on US mfg product? Maybe on Asian import, but US should be duty free under NAFTA.

·
Registered
163 Posts
uh, on the Kaos site, since when do we pay 7% duty on US mfg product? Maybe on Asian import, but US should be duty free under NAFTA.
You are correct. If it is American made we don't pay the extra duty. If you call Canada Revenue (or customs now I guess) they will give the full details on any guitar/bass you want to import. I did that once and they wanted to know country of manufacture and the dollar amount. I gave that to them and they came back in a couple of minutes with all the charges I needed to be aware of. They also warned me of using couriers that charge import fee above and beyond what is required by law (without mentioning UPS directly of course).

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
I'm a little outraged to see one of our online fx sellers has suddenly switched his pricing from US to Canadian. I've never agreed with Canadian Online stores charging in US in the first place, but whatever. But to see 1 suddenly switch his prices to Canadian $'s because he's taking a bath on US $'s is a big middle finger to the consumer as far as I'm concerned. And no, as far as I can see, he hasn't adjusted his prices any; he's just changed the currency. The few pedals I've been interested in are the same price in CAD that they were in US.

edit: I should mention that it's only a certain line that I was looking at where I noticed the sudden change in currency. I have no idea if it's across the board or not. Still not ethical business practice IMO.

·
Registered
14,745 Posts
I don't like buying guitar stuff online--I want to see it in person.
But some things are okay--and I do want a couple of smaller things, but would probably just order from a store.
I doubt I'd find them cheaper online once I pay for shipping & handling.

But if I were shopping online, I'd go through a US site right now & take advantage of the dollar.
If the Canadian sites aren't co-operating with us, why should we help them out?

·
Banned
1,195 Posts
Next, Canadian’s earn a significantly higher wage then Americans making the cost of selling product in Canada higher then the US. Also, we as employers have to pay Employment Insurance, Canada Pension, Employer Health Tax and Workplace Safety Insurance for all employees making our workforce far more expensive the a typical American equivalent.
this is a huge oversimplification. that article was really just ad copy. bottom line is this: the store needs to see a certain profit to remain open. i don't (and i suspect most of us don't) begrudge them a reasonable profit. but like jroberts says, there's a limit. i always go to my local store with a price on something to see if they can/will match it. they usually come close enough to make it possible to justify.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts