The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed an acoustic guitar case for sale privately, (used?) for $1,350 dollars. Don’t want to say more - it could be one of ‘ours’ and intended to protect a 10K investment. That would be understandable.

Next- I’ve switched about a hundred halogen (50 watt) ceiling lights to LEDs. A number of individual ones have failed, taking out the accompanying transformer each time. It’s not the LEDs that fail, only the associated transformers. The empty socket(s) show zero volts when measured while power is applied. Naturally this is unexpected since each location is now firing at five watts rather than fifty. One more thing: a couple of the failed LED’s came alive for some period of time, even after weeks of darkness, only to fail again, finally, after a similar period.
I’m wondering what is the cause of the suspected transformer failures? They are the traditional “magnetic” type used in halogen lighting.
These are all in “New Construction”, ie, they were installed before the ceilings, and are now unreachable without ceiling surgery.
Anyone familiar with this situation ?

·
Registered
10,057 Posts
I don't know, but find LED bulbs to be a huge scam personally. The longest one of them has lasted in my house has been about two months, while the least was two days. Yes, two #$%^ing days.

25 year lifespan my ass.

·
Registered
11,236 Posts
I don't know, but find LED bulbs to be a huge scam personally. The longest one of them has lasted in my house has been about two months, while the least was two days. Yes, two #$%^ing days.

25 year lifespan my ass.
You’re either unlucky or buying the wrong ones. I converted most of my house close to 10 years ago and they’re still going strong. Personally seeing the difference in amp draw and buying a reputable product it’s been worth it for me.

·
Registered
10,057 Posts
You’re either unlucky or buying the wrong ones. I converted most of my house close to 10 years ago and they’re still going strong. Personally seeing the difference in amp draw and buying a reputable product it’s been worth it for me.
Congratulations

·
Registered
6,036 Posts
A few years ago I bought about $450 worth of regular light bulbs because they were gonna be banned. The rate of consumption has been less than expected so I'll probably still have some light bulbs left over when I cash in my chips.

·
Registered
10,057 Posts
I don’t often think of myself as a hero but clearly in this case I truly am,., and I don’t use those words lightly. If more people adopted my way of thinking we would all be better off.
Have you considered becoming the dictator of a small country?

·
Registered
5,691 Posts

25 year lifespan my ass.
Replaced all my old school bulbs with LED. There were some places in the house where the incadescents were burning out every other month. The LED has been going 3 years. I used to have an incadescent on my outside light and the winter cold would kill it every few weeks. An LED has been out there over 3 years and going strong.

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
After switching from incandescent to led my monthly hydro payments have gone from $130 to $90. That’s from switching out 23 forty to one hundred watt bulbs. Plus in a chandelier with 8 bulbs in it the bulbs last way longer. I used to change one or two a month. Now it’s one every six or seven months. In the rest of the house I haven’t changed a bulb in over a year including one that is on outside 24/7. These are cheap Costco leds.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
This is one of the rare times I will agree with you. I’ve done the same and noticed a difference on my hydro consumption.

The only crappy LEDs I ended up with happened to be a batch of mini halogen spotlight replacement bulbs that I ordered online. That was early in the LED infancy, I’m sure I can get good ones locally now.

·
Premium Member
10,947 Posts
Switched the house over to LED lights gradually but completed the act (except maybe the sheds, I don't remember) a year ago last summer. One has failed. Some of the screw in flourescents that I removed were the first generation variety that we put in over 20 years ago so we kept them just in case we need a quick replacement. Anyway, one in maybe 30 doesn't sound too awful...so far.

P

·
0 Posts
My LED lights are lasting, but they cause a loud static on FM radio so I can't have a radio on in their vicinity. My hydro bill went down $800 a month when I switch all the perimeter lighting to LEDs. The electric fence still draws too much power though.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
My LED lights are lasting, but they cause a loud static on FM radio so I can't have a radio on in their vicinity. My hydro bill went down $800 a month when I switch all the perimeter lighting to LEDs. The electric fence still draws too much power though.
Makes me wonder if the electric fence is keeping people out...or in. :eek:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts