The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. My story's pretty similar to Michelle's - played, job, family, playing again.

I'm primarily a bass player, late 30s, located in lovely southwestern Ontario (er, lovely if you like topographically-challenged flatlands that is :)

Played the last couple of years with a local classic rock outfit but recently resigned (we had all the bookings I wanted and the money was as good as you can expect these days, but I got really bored of playing to 20-30 people some nights until 2am ... a topic covered rather extensively in other forum threads I see).

Nice place you have here! Not sure how I ended up here - I was sifting through bar listings to see if my old band was playing anywhere local tonight so I could catch a set and I ended up here. Go figure!

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Welcome to the forum, James will be happy that the bass players are expanding. Wait a minute it could be a plot.... :wave:

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I knew it... they are planning on taking over the world starting here... :eek: six stringers unite... :2guns: ... :D again welcome aboard.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
hush said:
"Suite Kaos" ... yeah I know ... they already had the name when I hooked up with them. You?
Name doesn't ring a bell.
I joined a band a couple years ago with a name worse than that - "Frozen Rotten". Still playing every other weekend or so doing the classic rock thing. Getting kinda stale. I need to start networking again. Supposed to jam with "Mario" in the next couple weeks.

I'm pretty much the same story as you. Played the London scene in the late 80s/early 90's, took a number of years off, then started again about 5 years ago. Have managed to get in on the HCBF SX bass craze as well.

·
Registered
644 Posts
james on bass said:
Hey Lowtones - just noticed you're in the area as well. Playin' with anyone?
Just casually. I play classic rock with some guys in London in a basement envrioment. I also play fairly often with some guys in Strathroy.( Super Casual) we have never had a practice but play at a Cafe for a couple of hours every 2nd Saturday evening. I travel a lot with work so it's one of those if I'm at home I sit in type things.

·
Administrator
16,172 Posts
Lowtones said:
Just casually. I play classic rock with some guys in London in a basement envrioment. I also play fairly often with some guys in Strathroy.( Super Casual) we have never had a practice but play at a Cafe for a couple of hours every 2nd Saturday evening. I travel a lot with work so it's one of those if I'm at home I sit in type things.
Classic Rock & Blues, thank you very much :D
(strictly amateur hour James, not the bass, just the rest of us)

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Lowtones said:
That's the fairly new cafe on the corner that used to be the police station? I've seen it and heard some tunes coming from there. I work in Strath, and my band is based out of Strath as well.

·
Registered
644 Posts
james on bass said:
That's the fairly new cafe on the corner that used to be the police station? I've seen it and heard some tunes coming from there. I work in Strath, and my band is based out of Strath as well.
That's the one.

·
Registered
644 Posts
davetcan said:
Classic Rock & Blues, thank you very much :D
(strictly amateur hour James, not the bass, just the rest of us)
Sorry Dave, Classic Rock & Blues! I likes me some Blues.
James, don't buy Dave's humble pie routine. We may not be a working band but amature hour they certainly are not.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Lowtones said:
Sorry Dave, Classic Rock & Blues! I likes me some Blues.
James, don't buy Dave's humble pie routine. We may not be a working band but amature hour they certainly are not.

Right on.

Now that we've totally derailed this thread...

We are starting to get enough numbers that we could eventually get a forumite jam night going some day.

·
Administrator
16,172 Posts
james on bass said:
Right on.

Now that we've totally derailed this thread...

We are starting to get enough numbers that we could eventually get a forumite jam night going some day.
You mean one half assed guitar player and 3 bass players :wink:

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
davetcan said:
You mean one half assed guitar player and 3 bass players :wink:
Sounds like you're selling yourself short.

As far as London area forumites on here, it would indeed be a little heavy in the lower registers. :tongue:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
...and just to add further "strathness" to this thread I live in Strath and work in London. Small world.

How'z the cafe thing work Lowtones - Darren hosts these doesn't he? Is the place open at the time or is it an after hours deal? If it's open when are you there next?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts