The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
lolligagger said:
I recently bought a Red Bear pick, which I believe is a synthetic tortis shell type of pick..

The "Red Bear" and "New-Tortis" are exactly the same thing. My understanding is that Dave Skowron of Red Bear acquired the rights to use a material known as TORTIS (or NEW-TORTIS) by John Greven. Mr Greven sourced/created the substance both for pickgards and picks. The pickgards are still the province of Mr. Grevin and are found on the best of guitars today. (Collings, Bourgeois, etc.) The pickgards and picks are both handmade items, hence the pricing.

Michel Wegen, another maker of picks, also produces some great items. virtually all Gypsy players use his picks. I tend to use one of his 2.5 mm picks for most of my playing.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
126 Posts
i use Dunlop Big Stubbys 3.0 mm.
i will occasionally use a thin pick for some strumming. but 99% of the time it is a Big Stubby.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Dunlop Tortex 3s...they are the Tortex version of the Jazz III. I find that the nylon version slips too much, but the Tortex M3 is perfect. Small, nice control.

·
Registered
386 Posts
The Bevel, boys/girls, It's all about the Bevel

The angle of attack, the way the pick addresses the strings. It's all about the bevel. I think the material probably makes less of a difference than the "gloss" of the material and the bevel.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts