The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm definitely recording this. From the PBS website:

"Sgt. Pepper’s Musical Revolution. Hosted by British composer and television presenter Howard Goodall, 'Sgt. Pepper’s Musical Revolution' uses visually striking elements to conjure up the psychedelic world of 'Sgt. Pepper,' provide context for the culture of the day, and show how the album was a driving force within that culture. It also highlights how contemporary projects, like Beyoncé's 'Lemonade,' would be unthinkable today had The Beatles not completely up-ended the whole concept of what an album should be. And for the Beatles fan in all of us, the show reveals material that has been squirreled away for decades, known only to a handful of people at Abbey Road Studios, including recordings of studio chat, and isolated instrument tracks and vocals."

Tomorrow, June 3, 2017 at 8:00 P.M. Eastern Time on your local PBS station. Check your local listings for the time it's on in your area.

Here's a promo clip from YouTube.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
Yes, that show was excellent. Goodall is a great host and he went pretty deep. Lots of stuff that I'd not thought of before... if it's replayed, I highly recommend tuning in for those that missed out. It has little to do with their personailities and success, it's almost entirely an essay on the intricacies of their songwriting and the techniques they employed to record the album.

·
Premium Member
8,532 Posts
I missed little bits and pieces but it was enormously informative and interesting and well hosted, as said ^^

·
Premium Member
11,605 Posts
Loved it. Great show. Thanks for the heads-up!

Mind-boggling, some of those old recording processes that we take for granted in a post-DAW world.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everybody.:) I haven't had a chance to watch it yet, probably tomorrow evening, but I know it's going to be a good show.

·
Registered
968 Posts
You watch TV live?

It only happens a few times a year and it's not worse than commercials.

There are a lot of great programs, start with Nova, Frontline, American Experience and Austin City Limits. One of my favourites was History Detectives but that is no longer being produced. This fall is Ken Burns' take on The Vietnam War.

·
Premium Member
3,092 Posts
Am I the only one that hates that the only good programming on PBS is always chopped up with telethon crap?
I don't watch live TV anymore. I PVR everything. Even the nightly news. PVR'd Sgt Pepper but I haven't watched it yet. My PVR is smarter than I am. It never misses smart recording the shows in my record list year after year.

·
Premium Member
9,451 Posts
Am I the only one that hates that the only good programming on PBS is always chopped up with telethon crap?
After awhile, I figured out that when they say they will be airing "Pink Floyd Live" on Saturday night, it means they will be playing about 4-5 songs from the DVD, interrupted 4 times with 10 minute telethon style commercials. I get it, they gotta pay the bills....but I no longer make the effort to watch their programs anymore. They are a great preview to help decide if you want to buy the DVD, but that's what it is.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
You watch TV live?

It only happens a few times a year and it's not worse than commercials.

There are a lot of great programs, start with Nova, Frontline, American Experience and Austin City Limits. One of my favourites was History Detectives but that is no longer being produced. This fall is Ken Burns' take on The Vietnam War.

I've been waiting a while for that Ken Burns documentary on Vietnam.

I watched the Beatles Sgt. Pepper. Although I'm not a big fan of that album, I did find the recording process for that album very interesting.

·
Premium Member
11,605 Posts
I PVR'd it and Rush: Time Stand Still at the same time. Both were excellent viewing - and no commercials in Rush!

I since deleted Sargeant Peppers but I'm keeping Rush to watch again. It's probably On Demand but it's less hassle to watch with the recording.

·
Registered
9,282 Posts
Don't have PVR and have to work! I am sure someone will record it an put it on You tube!

I love the Beatles! Such a societal influence in so many ways!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts