The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I heard that when it was on and thought it was a great idea.

A lot of times I'll hear of a band coming that is on my to see list but then I realize it's on a weeknight at a bar which means it won't end until like 1am so I don't go.

·
Premium Member
3,144 Posts
Back around 2008, I put a band together after not having played for awhile. When I realized I had to start playing at a local bar at 10 PM, I thought "I'm usually thinking about going to bed at that time" so ya, start playing earlier. Makes sense.

·
Premium Member
3,357 Posts
I heard that when it was on and thought it was a great idea.

A lot of times I'll hear of a band coming that is on my to see list but then I realize it's on a weeknight at a bar which means it won't end until like 1am so I don't go.
We went to see an Aussie hip-hop act at Revolution bar some day of the week, went for dinner, ticket said "doors open at 8pm.
I thought, great! Opening act 9pm, main 10:30ish.
The opener didn't start until 11:15.
Main act started around 1am (I wa s told, as we left cause of babysitter & being up for work the next day!)

Sent from my other brain.

·
Premium Member
3,197 Posts
Agree. Last band I played in I quit. My last night we were putting away gear in a blizzard at 4:30am. Those guys were all about "they have to be drunk to enjoy". So they would wait &wait &wait. The crowd came to expect it and started coming later &later &later. Vicious circle. Funny thing was, we were clearly the most in demand band in the area and could have done whatever we wanted and still got paid. Been hoping for some daylight gigs ever since. Hasn't happened.

·
Premium Member
10,993 Posts
The local Legion starts their meat draws at 4 pm (used to be 5). The band plays a set, the meat draw and 50/50 takes about 45 minutes to an hour, then the band plays until 8 or 9 (sometimes later if they've kept the crowd). It's early, that's for sure, but everyone continues to a second party or goes home.

A local small house concert venue starts at 7:30 and runs to 10 or 11, depending on a variety of factors but it's never late.

For many years I had a bi-weekly nursing home gig with my guitar/violin duo. We got the residents all excited right before lunch. The word was they ate better, were more energetic, more inclined to go for a walk, etc. afterwards. It was a great regular practice for the duo as well.

I love an early gig.

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
A local bar jam has been struggling. There is a good turnout for a Thursday night jam that runs from 10:00 till closing. A Wednesday jam at the same time has been moving around between several bars struggling to draw a crowd. They changed it to 6:00 to 10:00 a couple of weeks ago and it is picking up, both with more musicians and more audience. It seems there is a late night crowd but only once a week and an earlier crowd also once a week. It looks like eventually the earlier time will have more success.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
A local bar jam has been struggling. There is a good turnout for a Thursday night jam that runs from 10:00 till closing. A Wednesday jam at the same time has been moving around between several bars struggling to draw a crowd. They changed it to 6:00 to 10:00 a couple of weeks ago and it is picking up, both with more musicians and more audience. It seems there is a late night crowd but only once a week and an earlier crowd also once a week. It looks like eventually the earlier time will have more success.
Our jam works well running from 8 till 11 or so. We get a good crowd that are there only for the music, but we keep a chunk of the wing night crowd if they like what they hear.

·
Premium Member
3,144 Posts
Agree. Last band I played in I quit. My last night we were putting away gear in a blizzard at 4:30am. Those guys were all about "they have to be drunk to enjoy". So they would wait &wait &wait. The crowd came to expect it and started coming later &later &later. Vicious circle. Funny thing was, we were clearly the most in demand band in the area and could have done whatever we wanted and still got paid. Been hoping for some daylight gigs ever since. Hasn't happened.
They were getting pissed at home and then coming out to the bar and drinking very little because it's so expensive. It's a wonder the bar owners can't figure it out.

·
Occasional CEO
JB Custom
1,834 Posts
I was never much into live music as a spectator for that exact reason. Even as a band member (regardless what age I was), I always wished shows started and finished earlier.

It's one of the main reasons why I never go to live shows and why I no longer bother playing in bands. If I could be home by 10pm-ish, I'd be all over it!

·
Premium Member
3,197 Posts
They were getting pissed at home and then coming out to the bar and drinking very little because it's so expensive. It's a wonder the bar owners can't figure it out.
Well, this was in the middle of an oil boom. Kids would buy a hundred dollars worth of drink tickets at the door of a community event, and leave the place full of untouched drinks and unspent tickets on the floor. So in their case it was nothing but some bullshit protocol the band leader had in his head. I know what you mean tho', and can certainly see it happening that way.

·
Premium Member
958 Posts
Same over here. Don't go to jams. Too late to start. I awake M-F at 5:30 AM to pay the bills. I generally don't go to live music unless its a Friday or Sat night. Smaller town Canada attracts bigger acts, passing thru on their way to weekend shows in the big cities. So the Trews were here, Daniel Leslie, or Sloan for example on a Thursday night. Doors open at 8 of course. To sell drinks. The main attraction starts at 11 or later. No thanks. Got bills to pay.

Even the local jams. Jam is advertised to start at 9. Get there early to hopefully get an early slot. Nope. They just sell suds until 9:45 when the host band starts. Nope. Gotta go. The only damn people at the jams are hobby musicians. Who usually work full time. Have to get up early. Don't have time to commit to a gigging band. So they go to the jam to at least get a little thrill. Many have pricey quality gear largely due to their professions. They can afford a beer or two, or three, on any evening of the week, if they get home at a decent hour. Heck they'll even invite their gear buddies out.

Best jam I ever knew of? Sunday afternoon 2-5 PM at the Yale in Vancouver. Blues jam. Plenty of beer flowed on many occasions that I was there...."All The Way From Sacramento. Joe Chapel!"

·
Premium Member
3,243 Posts
Our band (a cover band) has figured out that most people come an hour after we start playing. For a while, we would move our start time back to accommodate, but then people would still show up an hour after we start. So we went back to starting earlier and playing to an emptier room for the first set. I can see how bands might start later and later to try to have a crowd when they start, but our experience is that the room will be full by the end of the first set no matter when we start.

The one exception is the Legion. If the doors open at 7:30, there is a crowd by 7:45 and they'll be dancing by 8:15.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts