The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,673 Posts
Have only seen the highlights of one game, (TOR vs MTL... yaaaa!!!) so I can't comment if any team other than the Habs are doing this, but the "Bell" ad on their helmets... BARF!!!

I totally get this if it's just this season to off-set the loss of ticket sales. Full support, way to think outside the box to generate revenue.

But, I doubt it. It will look like the Spangler Cup soon.

EDIT: I did a little digging. I did not notice the "Scotia" logo on the Leafs helmets in the highlights I watched, but they are apparently there. NHL hopes to raise $15M with the ads this year.
I really hope the nickname “Bell ends” catches on.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Few people would admit to that though.

;)
Yep, between the Leafs and AVFC, me and Dad have seen some dry years!! Although, Villa are still sitting strongly in 8th right now with (as many as) three less games played.

Isn't that what makes me a true fan though??

·
Registered
814 Posts
Anyone else finding it hard to get up for the same teams?? We're only at 20 games played, and I am on the fence if I want to watch the Leafs vs Habs again!! I don't have cable, so I only get one game a week, but again?? And three times this week against Ottawa?? Give me a Western road swing so I can get sick of watching EDM, CAL, WIN, VAN... actually, leave the Canucks out of it, I've already had enough of seeing them.

·
Premium Member
9,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Oilers playing great hockey (except in goal) won 8 of 10, leading league in D scoring, lots of secondary scoring this year. Puljujarvi looks spectacular, a huge moose with fast wheels forechecking like crazy stealing pucks, 5 goals in 7 games since joining McDavids line. The 2 games they lost they scored 4 and 5 goals. Darnell Nurse took a giant step forward in development, playing like a top tier Norris candidate at both ends of the ice.

Kyle Turris a big disappointment, first healthy scratch last night, has 1 goal I think.

So, no, I don't mind seeing the Oilers all the time, playing the same teams. We do get some alt games here, 2-3 a week on the cable package I have. Got the Avs Knights back to back, that was fun those teams can SKATE.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I guess if I had some sort of package that I could watch other games, even all US teams for a while, it might mix it up a bit more.

Leaf's in your barn next week! McDavid vs Mathews head to head. I can get up for that!!

Reactions: keto

·
Registered
5,254 Posts
Finally looking like Jets may have got something for Laine. :)
Hopefully much more of that to come.

·
Registered
814 Posts
By the numbers:

I was reading TSN this morning, and they had back to back stories on (the injured) Markstrom in Calgary, and the Leaf's (injured) Andersen. In the article it listed their stats.

Markstrom is 31, and has a goals against of 2.87 and save percentage of .909 in 15 games.
Andersen is 31, has a GA of 2.69 and a S% of .905 in 16 games.

Those are some very similar numbers, but the Leafs are 11 points in front with 14-4-2 and the Flames are 9-9-1.

I've seen/heard/read about Markstrom's "struggles" since coming over from Vancouver in the off season, and needs to "find his place" etc, but no one is saying similar things about Andersen! Why would they, despite his numbers being similar to Markstrom's, they are winning! The entire teams are being judged on opposite spectrums based on goaltending when in fact it is the offence that should be under the microscope! Both teams have 54 goals against (which makes sense based on the goalies numbers) but goals for are 72 - 50 in the Bud's favor! The Leafs are a +18, the Flames a -4. (The second place Oilers are 72 for and 62 against for a +10)

So Markstrom & Andersen are both doing bad but because of the offense, no one is looking at Andersen.

Reminds me of:

0-1-9 = 10 game winless steak
1-0-9 = 10 game unbeaten streak!

My brain hurts...

·
Registered
12,495 Posts
the announcers broadcasting out of Calgary are terrible, the whole crew. like they got replaced by the Jr High AV club and Cassie Campbell is leading them

Kevin Bieksa on HNIC is also terrible

·
Premium Member
9,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
the announcers broadcasting out of Calgary are terrible, the whole crew. like they got replaced by the Jr High AV club and Cassie Campbell is leading them

Kevin Bieksa on HNIC is also terrible
Yes, the Calgary crew is miserable. I have never liked Cassie or Francis. Bieksa can be a dink, but mostly I think he's funny.

By the numbers:

I was reading TSN this morning, and they had back to back stories on (the injured) Markstrom in Calgary, and the Leaf's (injured) Andersen. In the article it listed their stats.

Markstrom is 31, and has a goals against of 2.87 and save percentage of .909 in 15 games.
Andersen is 31, has a GA of 2.69 and a S% of .905 in 16 games.

Those are some very similar numbers, but the Leafs are 11 points in front with 14-4-2 and the Flames are 9-9-1.

I've seen/heard/read about Markstrom's "struggles" since coming over from Vancouver in the off season, and needs to "find his place" etc, but no one is saying similar things about Andersen! Why would they, despite his numbers being similar to Markstrom's, they are winning! The entire teams are being judged on opposite spectrums based on goaltending when in fact it is the offence that should be under the microscope! Both teams have 54 goals against (which makes sense based on the goalies numbers) but goals for are 72 - 50 in the Bud's favor! The Leafs are a +18, the Flames a -4. (The second place Oilers are 72 for and 62 against for a +10)

So Markstrom & Andersen are both doing bad but because of the offense, no one is looking at Andersen.

Reminds me of:

0-1-9 = 10 game winless steak
1-0-9 = 10 game unbeaten streak!

My brain hurts...
The above noted Calgary crew, during the last couple Flames broadcasts we got up here, went to lengths to say how Markstrom was their most consistent player thru the year so far. I haven't heard any references to the 'find his place/struggles'stuff you are talking about.

·
Registered
814 Posts
The above noted Calgary crew, during the last couple Flames broadcasts we got up here, went to lengths to say how Markstrom was their most consistent player thru the year so far. I haven't heard any references to the 'find his place/struggles'stuff you are talking about.
It was on HNIC. (between periods) They were discussing all the times Markstrom has stormed out of his net, and should he be "fair game" if he's out that far, and why is he doing it, etc... Hrudy (I think) said he was "finding his place" on the team.
I've also heard a couple in the Toronto Sports stations refer to it.

And to chime in on Ms. Campbell... who decided she can contribute to a hockey broadcast? Yes, she is an elite athlete, and played at the highest level her sport. She did Canada proud, but a broadcaster?? This is not a "woman" thing. Andi Petrillo was great!
The worse broadcast I have ever heard in my entire life, was Bob Cole doing play-by-play, and Cassie doing colour. MY GOD!!!! The two of them NEVER SHUT UP!!!!!!!!!! I can see the F**KING GAME!!! I do not need you speaking all over it! Tell me who has the puck, (mostly for the other team) I can figure the rest out! Cause I can SEE IT!!!

Reactions: keto
21 - 30 of 30 Posts