The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, this thing has a big emotional connection.

My boys are 29 & 28. They were in a high school band and good friends with an adopted boy who went through some very tough times over the past 10-12 years. Both his older adoptive brothers died young of cancer, then both of his adoptive parents passed too. He inherited the modest family home, and my 28 year old has rented there the last 2 years.

We were close with this boy, considered him like a 4th child of our own, and he always knew he was welcome in our home any time no question.

I was aware of the pedal years ago, and had made a gentle inquiry as to it’s availability probably 8-9 years ago, not realizing it had been his brother’s and was an important item personally. I never pursued it again, except at that time saying if he ever decided to move it along - he quit playing electric years ago now - please see me first.

My son’s taking up bass (he’s a premier in demand locally drummer) and wanted to try some stuff through my rig a while back, and pulled this pedal out of a bag. We gave it a run and it sounded every bit as BIG AND ANGRY as I expected.

I guess he made some sort of deal, and it was given to me today for Christmas. I reached out to the the (man now, I still think of him as one of my boys) and let him know how much I appreciated him letting it go, and that I’d own it forever and he can always and any time have it back for the asking. A special gift indeed.

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
I'm not a huge Big Muff buff, but I have a Deluxe Big Muff (the new one) that I love because of it's versatility, especially with the attack knob & the added Q knobs with independent stomp switch. Anyway, my question is, is this the op amp version, made famous by Smashing Pumpkin's Siamese Dream album?

·
Registered
12,871 Posts
I'm not a huge Big Muff buff, but I have a Deluxe Big Muff (the new one) that I love because of it's versatility, especially with the attack knob & the added Q knobs with independent stomp switch. Anyway, my question is, is this the op amp version, made famous by Smashing Pumpkin's Siamese Dream album?
I believe that it is, yes. There's a reissue out now.

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
I actually watched that video earlier today!! Thinking of getting one but I don't know if it's necessary after the one I have. What a great pedal to own though, and with such cool musical history, plus a heartwarming personal history for yours in particular.

·
Premium Member
10,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Generally the op amp version is angrier/rougher sounding than any transistor version, though it is still distinctly a Muff. The magic is in the tone bypass, which increases mids greatly (bass won’t be as likely to get lost in the mix so much as can be a problem with most Muffs) as well as output, given the signal isn’t going through the tone section.

·
Registered
16,159 Posts
Cool story--and enjoy!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.