The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So..I got my 6 month old MIM Standard Tele' set up about 3 months ago. The tech got it pretty much perfect with the string action and such for my taste. I kind of promised myself that I was not going to tamper with a good thing.

But..then came this evil season called winter and of course the furnace is on in my house and humidity is much lower than it was when I had the setup done. I have noticed the string height on my guitar is noticeably higher. Not terrible and it sounds fantastic, but it is different and slightly more difficult to play.

I'm not real confident about doing my own setups, but I guess that I could lower the action on the strings alright. But..would the truss rod then need an adjustment also? That, I must say, makes me a little nervous and I have don't much confidence at all.

As mentioned, I love the sound I have right now and I think I could get used to the higher strings. But, I am wondering if I leave it until the weather and humidity goes back to like before, will my guitars action lower itself so the action would be similar to what it was right after the setup?

This all probably sounds pretty dumb...but that's me. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
You likely just need a truss rod adjustment. It's not difficult but it takes a bit of practice to see how guitars respond to small adjustments. Kind of part of the game when winter rolls around.

I would suggest watching and reading a few tutorials and give it a throw yourself. Or if you're still not feeling up to it take it to your tech and sit in while he adjusts it so you can see it firsthand.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Buy a copy of one of Dan Erlewine's books, read it and you'll never pay anyone again to set up your guitar.

But I agree with Garrett above --- a slight truss rod tweak will likely solve your issue.

I had to tweak a few of mine a couple of times the last 2-3 months as it began to get colder and dryer.

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
You don't need to mess with the string heights. That is not what changed. You need the truss rod tweaked a bit. Easy job, there are lots of videos on it. Do you know what the measurement for relief was when you liked it after your last set up? Pretty handy piece of information right there.

·
Premium Member
8,573 Posts
Yeah turn the truss rod tighter to make straighter. Small quarter or half turn, and DON’T EXPECT INSTANT RESULTS, it can take overnight to settle in, though often you can see results right away. Repeat as necessary.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts