The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
I've been playing Yamaha guitars (among others) since the 60s, and never came across anything like that! A little Googling found this Yamaha Model 150, 12 string yung jin? - YamahaMusicians.com which shows an instrument that might be a twin of yours. Yung Jin was apparently a distributor; doesn't explain the peculiarities, though.

Please keep us posted as you find out more.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Duh -- the posts there were apparently yours. That'll teach me to post at this hour of the morning...

·
Premium Member
11,662 Posts
I don't recognize many of its features, or combinations of features. There must be a Yamaha authority somewhere...

·
Registered
110 Posts
Send the photos and questions to Yamaha customers service....they replied quick with info on my 71 red label fg180......

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How does it play?

Does it have a model number printed on the label?
Plays nice...

No serial # to be found...

Label only says:

Model no. 150
Yung Jin Musical instruments.Co., Ltd

the tag is burgandy.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Try again, last year they replied in 3 hours
OK,

I sent them another request yesterday with all my pictures and all. I got a confirmation this morning that they received my email... will see if I get more info this time around.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good luck, I can only tell you about my experience.
Well, you were right !!! I got a response this time :

Hello Pierre,

After looking at the pictures, this was not a guitar that was made in any of the actual Yamaha factories. It appears that this guitar was made by a company called Yung Jin Musical Instruments, for Yamaha in the early 1960's, before Yamaha actually built their first factory in 1966. Yamaha used Suzuki and a few other manufacturers prior to building their own factories. I have seen pictures of other No. 70, No. 80 guitars with Yamaha labels on them, that were not built by Yamaha. Yamaha did not use the type of printing font, that was used on the Yamaha name at the top of this headstock. The truss rod cover looks like it may have been added at a later time, as it looks like a truss rod cover that yamaha used in the late 60's. (not sure on this).
Due to the fact that this guitar was not actually built by Yamaha, there are no records or specs available, as record keeping started in 1966 at the first Yamaha Factory, and did not include those older factories. It was definitely built before 1966, if the Yamaha labels are in fact authentic.

Best regards,

Barry Ryan
Yamaha Guitar Tech Support

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
how does it play?? =))) *#*(

Plays very nice! Was not expecting it being an early 60`s guitar... The fact that even Yamaha has limited info is not surprising since anything Japan made in those years is sketchy. The tags are original and so is TRC...

I do play 12 strings but like a slimmer neck personally ...

This is one nice original and from what I gather, very unique and limited early 60`s Yamaha guitar.

I`m happy !

1 - 19 of 19 Posts