The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a number of old amps and I was reading something about how the filter caps need to be run at least a couple of times a year to keep them in good shape. How long would I run the amps? Do I need to be playing through them or is just turning them on going to work?

·
Premium Member
Air guitar
3,254 Posts
Not sure what the answer is but I think its interesting that you have gear you don't use.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I'm not sure how long they need to be on.

It’s having power run through the caps that matters, you don't have to be playing them, but then again, why wouldn't you?

I went so far as to have made a recurring entry in my iPad's calendar, and divided the equipment in groups. Every Sunday morning I get a message which I haven't done anything about.

I recall the ZZ Top guys have someone go play their amps.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just kidding... Although my buddy was over today and thought I should open up a recording studio with all the gear I have.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
care and feeding of old tube amps!

:D

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
I smell 'business opportunity' as I ease towards retirement. Feet are too flat to walk dogs. Too grumpy to be a greater at Wally-world. Don't know how to make avocado toast.

I think I'll start an 'amp playing' business. For the low month fee of $xx, I will play your amp(s) for 15 minutes and give it the love it isn't getting at home. You can even pick the guitar I use. For an additional $xx, I will gig it and really give it a workout. The phone's already ringing!

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
I think I'll start an 'amp playing' business. For the low month fee of $xx, I will play your amp(s) for 15 minutes and give it the love it isn't getting at home. You can even pick the guitar I use. For an additional $xx, I will gig it and really give it a workout. The phone's already ringing!
"So called 'amp-whisperer' sued for piping pre-recorded music through amps instead of playing real instruments through them. Defendant claimed 'there just got to be too many, I couldn't keep up' " :D

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
"So called 'amp-whisperer' sued for piping pre-recorded music through amps instead of playing real instruments through them. Defendant claimed 'there just got to be too many, I couldn't keep up' " :D
Nah, I wouldn't do that.

Shit, I can hardly throw a rock and NOT hit a guitar player looking for money. I'd just staff up.

Reactions: jb welder

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I haven't found a minimum amount of time, but a maximum amount of time one capacitor manufactuer suggested for reforming in the circuit at full current was about half an hour. But that would be for a capacitor that was sitting for a long time.

The way they are used in a tube amp filter where some caps are seeing much less current, I would guess that reforming would take longer.

I'll keep looking, but I don’t expect I’ll find a definitive answer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts