The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,618 Posts
Now THAT, is a much better deal than the other one. Those speakers don't have the look, but they sound better then the bumper-era 4x X towers.

I used to cottage /camp up that way.

·
Premium Member
3,618 Posts
There was a larger model - 2x15 plus mid-high horn - after that one. I could fit my whole family in there (uncomfortably).... alternatively they make a nice prefab outhouse.

·
Premium Member
3,618 Posts
Vintage (1972) Traynor YSC 8 Speaker | Amps & Pedals | St. Catharines | Kijiji

Remeber the earliest p/a speaker columns from Traynor, Shure, etc? 4x8, 6x8, 4x12 - they actually worked pretty well at the time. :)

And then there wre the 4x12's lolipops ..............
The pre-bumper era were alright (a little lean in the extremes, but that's why they had high-fill horns you could stack on top). Those 4x8s are not worth anywhere close to $190 each - see the other kijiji alert thread for a pair of them + YVM head for my detailed comments, but I paid 100 for a pair of working 4x12 towers not so long ago. Check the speakers, the later ones are horribly bad.

https://www.guitarscanada.com/index.php?threads/kijiji-old-traynor-reverb-pa-325.182561/

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
The pre-bumper era were alright (a little lean in the extremes, but that's why they had high-fill horns you could stack on top). Those 4x8s are not worth anywhere close to $190 each - see the other kijiji alert thread for a pair of them + YVM head for my detailed comments, but I paid 100 for a pair of working 4x12 towers not so long ago. Check the speakers, the later ones are horribly bad.

https://www.guitarscanada.com/index.php?threads/kijiji-old-traynor-reverb-pa-325.182561/
IIRC some mix of the speakers had whizzer cones for that high-end :D

And I agree - there's not a lot of value in old p/a stuff unless you're nostalgic. There's a lot of passive stuff being sold cheap as people convert to active systems.

·
Premium Member
3,618 Posts
IIRC some mix of the speakers had whizzer cones for that high-end :D

And I agree - there's not a lot of value in old p/a stuff unless you're nostalgic. There's a lot of passive stuff being sold cheap as people convert to active systems.
For rock n roll, whizzer cones would normally be enough (there's not much above 10kHz for rock music), the later periods didn't even have that though. I was nostalgic so I bought them for the cabs, gutted them and made some real kickers out of them

Had some real loud shows in there:

Had some real loud shows in there.

·
Premium Member
4,726 Posts

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
For rock n roll, whizzer cones would normally be enough (there's not much above 10kHz for rock music), the later periods didn't even have that though. I was nostalgic so I bought them for the cabs, gutted the

Had some real loud shows in therem and made some real kickers out of them:

That's awesome!

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
Thos lollipos bring back some fond memories. Our keyboard player had two of those back in the early 70's. Loud as hell !!!
Yeah they were the cats ass then. For that outdoor show we rented the p/a - 4 of those cabs and a big Traynor tube head - lots of volume. I remember I was playing my Hagstrom into an Echolette, a GBX Preamp, a Silvertone 1484 and a homemade 2x12 cab.

·
Registered
Tell your prophets to pray and tell your bandits to run.
7,729 Posts
For rock n roll, whizzer cones would normally be enough (there's not much above 10kHz for rock music), the later periods didn't even have that though. I was nostalgic so I bought them for the cabs, gutted the

Had some real loud shows in therem and made some real kickers out of them:

Nice space. Where is that if I might ask ?

·
Premium Member
3,618 Posts
Nice space. Where is that if I might ask ?
Polyhaus was in the Carlaw Industrial building (Carlaw and Gerrard) in Toronto. It no longer exists.

That's awesome!
Thanks!

That weird room there stage right was the studio. A septagon symetrical on the listening axis with no parallel surfaces aside from floor/ceiling. Miss that room so hard (I was too busy to do much recording there). The wood upper deck was the FoH mix position / DJ booth / A/V loft generally.

·
Premium Member
4,726 Posts
Yeah they were the cats ass then. For that outdoor show we rented the p/a - 4 of those cabs and a big Traynor tube head - lots of volume. I remember I was playing my Hagstrom into an Echolette, a GBX Preamp, a Silvertone 1484 and a homemade 2x12 cab.
Old school equippement, nothing like it except the weight, the size.lol

·
Premium Member
3,950 Posts
I have a single twelve Traynor cab like the ones featured in th OP. Paid $20. It does sound good, as you say. Again, excellent protection on a portable unit.

·
Premium Member
3,618 Posts
Dang! I thought that was your"studio-from-scratch",GG.
It was; the room off to the side. I needed to do the shows in the venue portion to pay the rent (that mostly worked, surprisingly, even managing to keep it affordable and actually pay bands).... which meant I didn't get to record much. Just jams and a few demos.... which I still have to mix actually. Will get on that as soon as done the project I'm working on now.

Aren't those 2x12+horns tho?

·
Premium Member
3,950 Posts
It was; the room off to the side. I needed to do the shows in the venue portion to pay the rent (that mostly worked, surprisingly, even managing to keep it affordable and actually pay bands).... which meant I didn't get to record much. Just jams and a few demos.... which I still have to mix actually. Will get on that as soon as done the project I'm working on now.

Aren't those 2x12+horns tho?
Cool! Nice gig. Yeah, the OP is two twelve, mine is one twelve. Shorter in height. I have loved those cabs since the first time I saw one. So functional.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts