The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone,

I've been looking at some different amps for quite a while now to figure out what my options are. I play mostly classic rock with some older metal thrown in. I've recently seen a few older traynors (the mark III seem to be the most common) come up on craigslist. I used to think that one of those would be the one I ended up with but then I realized people were saying it stays clean almost all the way up (and it's 100watts!). From what I've read about them these amps seem to be really good but would they be able to do the metal thing at all? I realize that getting a pedal to go with them would be a must but even when I'm not playing really heavy stuff I use overdrive. So how practical would this amp be for me considering I can't always crank it to 8 and a pedal can only take you so far? I guess I'm asking what exactly can I do with this amp and how are the other old traynors different from it. I know there is only one version that has preamp gain but It only comes in a head or a 410 combo and I'm looking for either 112, 210 or 212 combos.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
635 Posts
I've owned the 212 combo and those Mk III amps are freakin' loud. What you've heard is right, they've got headroom like crazy. Essentially, your ears will start bleeding and then explode into flames before you get any natural distortion out of it.

I'm not sure it will work all that well for any metal-ish sounding tones though. It sounds very similar to a Fender Twin, which from what I understand is the amp it was based on. As I'm sure you know, not many metal guys use Fender amps, let alone the Twin. And for good reason- although they're versatile amps, they're for different styles of music than metal.

If I were you, I'd go for a 50 watt head/4x12 closed cab combo. That's pretty much the metal starter setup and for good reason. It'll most likely sound the way you want your guitar to sound. Although the Traynors are great amps and virtually indestructable, I think that if you bought one, you'd eventually find it frustrating trying to get the tone you want out of it.

Now, if you're using a PodXT or XTLive with it, the MkIII is a great amp because it'll sound perfect.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts