The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all ... we need a mixer and PA for basement vocals. We play rock and play fairly loud. There is a used 70's Yamaha EM-150II powered mixer with two Peavey DS1502 speakers available. Do you think this will work for our jams? At this point no gigs are planned and I assume if that happens we'd need something more substantial. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts
Depends on your drummer mostly. Does he need to hit hard to get the action he needs?

My favourite drummer could do everything at acoustic guitar level. We used a Fender Bassman for guitar, bass, keyboard and vocals.

My last drummer regarded drumming as an athletic workout and insisted on amplification as well. We set up for practice with enough gear to play to over a thousand people.

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts
Haha sorry. Yeah "basement PA,"OP said.

Quiet drummer in small log cabin. Loud drummer local rec hall. Not really basements,eh? i haven't played in a basement since the sixties...

P

·
0 Posts
Ever crack your head on the main beam going down basement stairs? Kills the jam...

·
Premium Member
12,237 Posts
Hi all ... we need a mixer and PA for basement vocals. We play rock and play fairly loud. There is a used 70's Yamaha EM-150II powered mixer with two Peavey DS1502 speakers available. Do you think this will work for our jams? At this point no gigs are planned and I assume if that happens we'd need something more substantial. Thanks!
Probably the only way to know for sure is to try it. Only put vox through the PA if you don't have enough level - no drums or keys or anything. And get the PA speakers as close to you as you can while still covering everyone. Put them on the floor like monitors if that will work. In effect they are monitors when you are practicing.

If it doesn't work you could either get more power (if the speakers will take it) or buy bigger powered speakers to run with that mixer's line out, if it has enough inputs. Or just buy a whole new PA. Close enough to a mid-life crisis to justify it?

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
No experience with the PA mentioned in the OP, but +1 for Traynor/Yorkville gear. All but my mixer is used stuff, and it all works great. Check L&M too for deals on used.

Other workhorse brands:
amp - QSC or Crown
mixer - Mackie or Soundcraft
speakers - Yorkville

Notice I did not include Behringer at all, thanks to a bad experience.

·
Premium Member
3,287 Posts
No experience with the PA mentioned in the OP, but +1 for Traynor/Yorkville gear. All but my mixer is used stuff, and it all works great. Check L&M too for deals on used.

Other workhorse brands:
amp - QSC or Crown
mixer - Mackie or Soundcraft
speakers - Yorkville

Notice I did not include Behringer at all, thanks to a bad experience.
I would add Yamaha to the list for speakers, and I've been happy with my Yamaha mixer, but haven't had it long enough to call it a "workhorse" yet. I would also caution that "Spirit by Soundcraft" is not on the same level as Soundcraft.

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
I have a Yamaha EMX250 that I've used for many years to play some pretty big venues. My speakers are Peavey SP2's with 15" Black Widow speakers. Still us it in my music room. This ones a little smaller but it's stereo and that's a bonus. Peavey speaker are built to last so that's another plus. I'd go over and get the guy to power it up to make sure it's in good working order but I personally think it would be fine for a basement PA. If you can get it with the speakers for $400 or less and it's in good working order, that wouldn't be too bad.

·
Premium Member
4,382 Posts
For rehearsals, that should be loud enough. Just use it for the vocals. The mic you're going to be using also plays a part in how loud it will go.

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts
It's unfinished and the area we play in is about 20x20.
Square is very troublesome acoustically. My last practise space was 24'x24' and it was a feedback nightmare.

I bought a 24-band feedback suppressor. After the 24 bands were all used up, the sound was pathetically anemic; and the feedback was still out of control. No band, I was working on a solo act.

If you are having these problems, build a fake wall or even hang a heavy curtain or something-anything to reduce one dimension to about thirteen or fourteen feet.

I hope the ceiling is at least eight feet.

You will be able to use it no matter what, but you sure won't have to worry about the power of your PA. You will have to play quietly, I think.

My two cents. What do you other guys think?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts