The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A friend of mine has this old leather covered guitar that his father gave him. It's old, there no name or identification on it of any kind. Anybody ever seen anything like this? It's from the BC interior.
leather guitar.jpg

It doesn't play all that well, or sound good, but it's really interesting.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
I guess it is. Even the fret board is leather covered. It's really cool.......weird cool
Strange! Were the frets made extra tall to compensate for the leather thickness? I'm wondering if the builder did it or if somebody dressed it up after

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
It is very cool looking. I suspect a major reason for its lacklustre sound is the damping effect from the leather.

PS: When I saw the thread title, I thought it might be a thread about Keith Richards.:)

·
Premium Member
5,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Strange! Were the frets made extra tall to compensate for the leather thickness? I'm wondering if the builder did it or if somebody dressed it up after
The covering on the fret board is very thin, almost a suede. It's hard to tell, but it looks to me like the suede was glued on before the frets went in. If it was applied after, someone is pretty good at cuttin & fittin

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Muffled sound ?

I kind of remember I sometimes saw some leather cover on Elvis' or even on a CD cover of that Newfoundly reknowned guy who used to sing 'I am a pilgrim' (sorry his name does not come out)...

·
Premium Member
5,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Muffled sound ?
Most definitely.

What did it sound and play like Dave?
It sounds like a guitar being played under water. That's the best description I can give you. No life in it at all. Lot of buzzing, lot of bad frets, quite heavy (for a rather small acoustic). It's a wall hanger for sure. I don't think it was ever meant to be anything else.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Most definitely.

It sounds like a guitar being played under water. That's the best description I can give you. No life in it at all. Lot of buzzing, lot of bad frets, quite heavy (for a rather small acoustic). It's a wall hanger for sure. I don't think it was ever meant to be anything else.
Hi, new guy here. There is a reissue of a leather clad D28 the "King" had that sells for $6,000...
Martin Elvis Presley Ltd Edition D-28 Natural > Guitars Flattop Electric & Acoustic | Denmark Street Guitars

1 - 13 of 13 Posts