The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I work at a Cegep in the Chemistry lab. I have around 150 burettes. 90 25ml and 60 50ml. I have them lying on the bottom of a cabinet. I want to find a way to hang them. The cabinet is 4 feet wide by 15" deep and around 3 feet high.
Just thought I would ask if you could come up with any ideas.
I went to all the home repair centers as I would have liked to use a long two pronged fork like hanger, but there was nothing close.
I had one of the guys who works in facilities make me this rack, but its not practical with the holes and it doesn't hold more than 100.

I would like to cut the slots all the way out, but then it wont be stable. Maybe two pieces of plywood the same with blocks to space them apart???

IMG_1856[1].JPG

·
Premium Member
17,827 Posts
I would like to cut the slots all the way out, but then it wont be stable.
Wouldn't a piece of 1/2 inch baltic birch plywood be stable enough (by itself).

What are the dimensions of the rack in the pic?

What is the total weight of the burettes?
(I'm assuming not much)

Do you hang then with the valve and stopcock at the top?

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That piece of wood is 48 by 15. Stopcock goes up. I might just make the holes bigger for now but they are a pain.

·
Premium Member
17,827 Posts
I'm staying with my original suggestion. Each of the supports is about 3" wide ...Correct? That plywood should be strong enough.
If you are worried, go to thicker baltic birch plywood.

L

·
0 Posts
Wire mesh in the size that you need? A couple of cross members if you need support.

wire.jpg

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I’m not a science guy.

https://www.labdepotinc.com/p-62952-burette-rack-wall-mounted-pp.php?c=1137

Glass Burettes Hanging At Laboratory Wall Stock Image - Image of mount, investigation: 81373361

This second picture reminds me of two things, guitar wall hangers and something half remembered. You know those guitar stands with the levers that close? Or the ones that close automatically?

The half remembered thing is something that grabs a bar from one end. I can't remember what bar, how it looked or how it released, but I remember being amazed at how tightly it grabbed...let me think about it.

You could have a bunch of clamps on something or somethings akin to a closet rod.

·
Administrator
16,704 Posts
Would a row of open ended slots work? Then you could just slide them in and out as required.

Reactions: Hammerhands

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Would a row of open ended slots work? Then you could just slide them in and out as required.
That is pretty much what I want. But it needs to hold 150. I'm going to try chopping open the piece I have now but it might get flimsy

·
Premium Member
25,112 Posts
That was exactly what I was thinking, before I scrolled down and saw the picture. Maybe a visit to a restaurant supply store is in order.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts