The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my drummer and I were invited to join a jam session last night with a group of guys (guitar players of course) who were looking for some decent drums and bass to back them up. Classic rock and blues mostly. We had a great time. It was fun to see the two guitarists getting the most out of there pedalboards and the like, something they don't get a chance to do very often.

Driving home, I decided to mellow things down and load some jazz in the CD player. There was a really tasty bass solo, short, but sweet on one of tunes. My drummer pointed out that he loves the tone of an upright bass for jazz, and that I should get one for when we play our jazz tunes on Monday night.

My reaction was....ya...right. I'm going to carry around a big ass double bass.....or maybe strap one to the top of my Nissan X-Trail permanantly just in case someone needs a jazz bassist at the last moment. In jest, I went on to tell him that only way I could see the purchase of a double bass, is when I declare myself a fulltime bass player, give up guitar playing all together, and sell off all my equipment........not.

But you know, I woke up this morning with double bass on the brain. I played classical bass for years in my youth, but never thought of owning one. Have any of you guys out there ever owned one? I've seen some electric versions of an upright on TV, but never in the stores. Anyone know what they're like or have tried playing them.

I don't know, maybe Rondo should bring in a line os SX upright bases :) The shipping cost would probably be more than the cost of the bass.

Lawrie

·
Registered
737 Posts
I love the sound of an upright also but would be quite impractical and probably impossible to find one left-handed. They do exist and my fave l-h upright bass-player is Jennifer Leitham. www.jenniferleitham.com She's an awesome jazz player, have her new CD.

I would like to try one of those electrick upright sticks though.

Michelle

·
Premium Member
10,935 Posts
I dragged an upright around for a couple of years and quickly got tired of its limited ability to sound loud enough without amplification, even at folk gigs, the sheer physical workout required to play anything like I do on electric, and the grief of always having to use the truck to get it around.

I went back to fretless electric.

Peace, Mooh.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Every time I go to Gate 403 I think I want to try one, then I realize it wouldn't fit in my car.....

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my fave l-h upright bass-player is Jennifer Leitham
Thanks Michelle for the link. Listened to her samples. Nice stuff.

I went back to fretless electric.
I haven't spent much time with a fretless, jut some brief moments in a stores. The electric uprights seem very expensive, and I haven't seen them around. In my mind, tone would be the reason why someone would go upright for jazz. Question then....given the same amp let's say, is the tonal quality different with a fretless as opposed to a fretted bass?

Lawrie

·
Premium Member
10,935 Posts
Fajah...Yes, there is considerable difference between the sound of fretted and fretless bass guitars, regardless of amplification. The string is stopped on the fingering end by human flesh rather than steel frets, pitch is controlled by finger placement rather than fret placement, fretless players generally use flatwounds more than fretted players which gives a fatter or rounder tone, and fretless players are usually more interested in a more upright kind of tone. All of course in my humble opinion.

Peace, Mooh.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mooh said:
Fajah...Yes, there is considerable difference between the sound of fretted and fretless bass guitars, regardless of amplification. Fretless players generally use flatwounds more than fretted players which gives a fatter or rounder tone.
Peace, Mooh.
Thanks Mooh. I'm going to pay closer attention to fretless bases next time I'm in a guitar store. I currently use half round strings on my bass and like the feel and tone.

Lawrie

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
The closest I have ever heard an electric fretless come to duplicating the sound of an upright is the original Godin Acoustic series.

For anyone interested in the modern electric upright here is a link to a Nova Scotia luthier who makes very nice instruments: http://www.vectorinstruments.com/basses/index.html

·
Premium Member
10,935 Posts
ronmac...Yeah I agree. I had one of those fretless Godin acoustibasses but it had a couple of bad stage accidents which split the top, busted machine heads, and other stuff. I did fix it and continued to play it for a time but it was never quite the same. These days I play a solid body Godin Freeway 5 converted to fretless and like it a lot. I pulled the frets, filled the slots with ebony veneer, re-radiused the fingerboard, and replaced the tuners with Hipshots.

Peace, Mooh.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Michelle said:
I love the sound of an upright also but would be quite impractical and probably impossible to find one left-handed. They do exist and my fave l-h upright bass-player is Jennifer Leitham. www.jenniferleitham.com She's an awesome jazz player, have her new CD.

I would like to try one of those electrick upright sticks though.

Michelle
I am with you on the Jennifer Leitham CD and the upright stick bass. I noodled around on one in Long & McQuade and loved it. It was an NS Design double bass - just fabulous sound through the right amp. Will think about one of these in the future.

http://www.nedsteinberger.com/

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
It's easy to get a left-handed upright - all you need to do is order it from any decent dealer. Jennifer plays a really nice Hofner upright and, yeah, she's a great player.

I wonder if she played right-handed BEFORE the operation. Hmmm.....

·
Registered
737 Posts
It's easy to get a left-handed upright - all you need to do is order it from any decent dealer. Jennifer plays a really nice Hofner upright and, yeah, she's a great player.

I wonder if she played right-handed BEFORE the operation. Hmmm.....
Nope, as 'John' she was referred to as the "Left-handed Virtuoso". I've exchanged a few e-mails with her, she's really nice and we have a lot in common. Both being left-handed bassists, and all..... :smilie_flagge17:

·
Registered
110 Posts
An Odd Looking Alternative for ~ $250

I love the sound of an upright acoustic bass, but I can see that it's limitations and size would get old in a hurry.

The Ashbory Bass is a strange alternative. They actually sound very much like the uprights.

You have to get over it's weird appearance. It looks like an instrument that would be played in the bar scene of "Star Wars".

It's strings are surgical tubing!

I think they were originally made and sold by a private maker, then Guild, and most recently Fender.

There's a lot of info at http://www.largesound.com/
Be sure to listen to the sound files. Here's One: http://www.largesound.com/ashborytour/sound/AshboryBYU.mp3

·
Registered
97 Posts
there are some great EUB's being made now and they are easily transported. i have a yamaha slb200 that fits into a carrying case no longer than my electric basses. my acoustic upright stays at home now for practice as it's too hard to get around with and the EUB goes everywhere...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts